Challenge: FeatureFlag pure functions

On the bright side, it’s an excuse to post this classic.

@atravers how would you do it without IORef? Even if the flags are immutable, you need a way to read them from deep in the application. The top-level global IORef lets you read the flags from anywhere, as long as you’re in IO

@AntC2 Yes, obviously there are some exceptions (you can’t hide changes to the flags framework itself behind a flag, or hide removing a flag behind a flag). But that doesnt mean you shouldn’t flag anything. Protecting 90% of your changes is better than not at all. Even if I think it’s overkill, doesn’t mean there isn’t a certain logic behind it.

I guess one compiler change that would make this easier is to take implicit params even further:

1. Allow specifying an implicit param as global, meaning it’s automatically added to all functions that’s inferred as needing it
  2. Allow specifying a default param to set to the global implicit param if it gets to main without being eliminated

This way, main would fetch the flags, pass it as an implicit param to the entrypoint, then everything under that entrypoint can read the flags by adding the implicit param, without needing to mark every function along the way. Tests could then set flags when running a function that needs it. Not saying this is a good idea, but it seems general enough.

I may be stating the obvious, or conversely I may be completely misunderstanding, but isn’t the point that the flags are immutable once they’re set. They are set at application start time, so they can’t be pure values.

1 Like

So isn’t the usual “pile-driver” chosen for this situation something starting with unsafe, which does the initialisation at application start time? (Or did I “miss a memo” somewhere?)

Oh sure, you’re saying why not

flags :: Flags
flags = unsafePerformIO $ do
  conn <- initDBConn
  fetchFlags conn

?

Two issues:

1. Flags are immutable in prod, but not tests, we want to be able to test a given function (pure or IO) with a flag both enabled and disabled
  2. This would initialize the conn twice: once here and once in main. I don’t see a way around that, without storing the conn in another global variable. Which wont work if the db conn needs runtime args to set the host of the db. Or in our case where the conn is passed to main (we have a slightly different usecase than an executable running a main function)

EDIT: just to be clear, this is the current logic:

flagsRef :: IORef Flags
flagsRef = unsafePerformIO $ newIORef defaultFlags

getFlagIO :: Flag -> IO Bool
getFlagIO flag = fmap (lookup flag) . readIORef flagsRef

main = do
  conn <- initDBConn
  writeIORef flagsRef =<< fetchFlags conn

I think you still might be able to do this:

flags :: Flags
flags = unsafePerformIO $ readIORef flagsRef

As long as you only force that after the writeIORef flagsRef, you should be fine.

Oh interesting! Yes, that would work, but then how would tests work? If all the code does the equivalent of

lookup flag flags

The tests won’t have a way to modify those flags

At this point the noupdate function would help, because then you could make it so that the flags are retrieved every time you use them instead of just once.

Perhaps you could already do something like that, let me experiment…

Edit: yes, this seems to work:

{-# OPTIONS_GHC -fno-cse -fno-full-laziness #-}

import Control.Concurrent
import Data.IORef
import System.IO.Unsafe
import Data.Kind

type Flag = ()
type Flags = Bool

flagsRef :: IORef Flags
flagsRef = unsafePerformIO $ newIORef False
{-# NOINLINE flagsRef #-}

getFlag :: Flag -> Bool
getFlag flag = unsafePerformIO $ lookup flag <$> readIORef flagsRef where
  lookup :: Flag -> Flags -> Bool
  lookup () x = x
{-# NOINLINE getFlag #-}

main = do
  writeIORef flagsRef True
  print (getFlag ())
  writeIORef flagsRef False
  print (getFlag ())

Pay attention to these points:

• Define getFlag in a module with -fno-full-laziness.
  • Use -fno-cse if you want the same getFlag () to mean different things in the same function/module. In your case, I don’t think you’ll need it if you instead use -fignore-interface-pragmas in your tests, that way your code cannot be inlined into your tests.
  • Make sure flagsRef and getFlag have a NOINLINE pragma.

Wouldn’t laziness mean that the subsequent calls to flags reuse the result of the first call?

At a glance…it seems to resemble much of the initial example code from Weird behavior with bracket and global IORef - what’s different?

But more generally - if you really, really think that “top-level mutability” (even “once off” ) is the solution, then look no further than:

What I mean is that presumably, the rest of the application also needs the database connection, and there wouldnt be a way to share the db connection between the flag-fetching and the rest of the app, youd have to initialize it twice

But this is also moot because for our specific use case, we have to take the db conn in as an argument to our main function, so we’d have to smuggle that into the global unsafePerformIO action anyway

Question: if the program can’t connect to the database, is it expected to keep running, or is it allowed to fail or end?

I mean, yes I agree it’s generally a terrible idea. But I don’t see a better option here, other than making everything monadic or passing a constraint or argument everywhere.

For simplicity, assume it will never fail to connect. It’s not an issue for us, since we get a connection in the entrypoint (again, we have a really weird set up).

That makes me wonder what the application architecture is. For the dumb “parse a set of requests into a set of known functions” case the immutability doesn’t matter: you’d just have a feature flag blob that is woven into every function, then an external request could be used alter the flags.

I think the simplest solution is basically what you did - -XImplicitParams (no need for reflection tbh) + a way to fetch the flags through IO. It really isn’t a complicated problem…

The main complication I can see is if your feature flags type is a record that in turn imports a lot of internal modules for custom types. That is doomed to fail as the project grows - I’ve seen some pretty egregious compilation time waste due to this at scale. But you can use some sort of dynamic solution instead of a record that’d work just as well (e.g. TypeRepMap or one of its friends).

1 Like

If this is a greenfield project, then you could consider investing your efforts in lightning fast build and re-deploy.

That way, your feature flag toggling is changing a line in the source code, which is really what everyone wishes they could do instead of parsing annoying config files.

It’s mentally easier to think about immutable processes—where you tear down the existing thing and make a new fresh thing—rather than modifying a running process in-place.

It’s unlikely GHC Haskell will ever achieve this, though not impossible, but Unison might achieve it if not already; I haven’t used it for something real. That or another CAS-based language; only in that setting can you avoid recompiling and run only the tests that need to re-run. Achieving redeploy of a large service measured in seconds is barely imaginable in any other setting.

I personally think it’s a good mental exercise to consider many types of problems (such as this one) as symptomatic of deployment pain. Having to stick IO in our code to “cheat” when really what we want is faster updates is a bit sad, but practical.

3 Likes

In theory, I’d agree. Except if your greenfield project is deployed as a feature in a legacy system that has a really long deploy cycle. Say, perhaps, the greenfield project is a binary that the legacy system calls to do a thing, and for security reasons, that binary has to be bundled with the legacy system instead of being able to be pulled from some repository, which can be updated out of band

It won’t be a “better” option at all once this is implemented:

• with mutual exclusion, all threads will have to wait their turn to access the DB, so not much better that being -single-threaded;

• without mutual exclusion - are you absolutely sure that DB is immutable? If not, joyous nondeterminism awaits…

So assuming (!!!) the DB is immutable, and each access of it doesn’t have secondary effects that the rest of the program can observe…the DB could be treated as one large implicit argument to the entire program, in the same way $+ in Miranda™ was. But you only have to look at the GHC DynFlags experience to see how badly that can go wrong.

The only other suggestion I can think of right now would be to look at:

…maybe you can reuse the technique it describes.

Main.hs:

import System.IO.Unsafe

import Flags

experimental_f = 4

f :: Integer -> Integer
f x
    | flag = x * 2
    | otherwise = x * 4
    where
        flag = unsafePerformIO $ getFlag experimental_f

main :: IO ()
main = do
    print $ f 10
    setFlag experimental_f True
    print $ f 10
    setFlag experimental_f False
    print $ f 10
    print "done"

Flags.hs:

{-# LANGUAGE CApiFFI #-}

module Flags (
    getFlag,
    setFlag
) where

import Foreign.C.Types

foreign import capi "libflags.h flags" c_flags :: CInt -> CInt -> CInt -> IO CInt

getFlag :: Integer -> IO Bool
getFlag flag = do
    v <- c_flags (CInt 0) (CInt (fromInteger flag)) (CInt 0)
    return $ if v == 0 then False else True

setFlag :: Integer -> Bool -> IO ()
setFlag flag value = do
    _ <- c_flags (CInt 1) (CInt (fromInteger flag)) (CInt (if value then 1 else 0))
    return ()

libflags.h:

int flags(int mode, int flag, int value);

libflags.c:

int flags(int mode, int flag, int value) {
    static int f[128] = {0};
    return mode ? f[flag] = value : f[flag];
}

GHC is the greatest C compiler, you get Haskell for free.

2 Likes

The mention of pure functions in the title piqued my interest. I have been wanting to write a blog entry that includes use of the dependent-sum and dependent-map packages, and this topic is a good one.

TLDR:

data FeatureFlag :: Type -> Type where
  Fix_202407_SomeBug_42 :: FeatureFlag Bool
  Ref_202407_SomeBusinessLogic :: FeatureFlag Bool

deriveGEq ''FeatureFlag
deriveGCompare ''FeatureFlag
deriveGShow ''FeatureFlag

type FeatureFlagMap = DMap FeatureFlag Identity

newtype FeatureFlagConfig (tag :: FeatureFlag a)
  = FeatureFlagConfig
    { config :: Maybe a
    }
  deriving (Eq, Show)

lookup
  :: FeatureFlag a
  -> FeatureFlagMap
  -> FeatureFlagConfig (tag :: FeatureFlag a)
lookup ff = FeatureFlagConfig . fmap runIdentity . DMap.lookup ff

Details:

1. Problem definition blog
  2. Implementation using a global, without tagged configuration blog
  3. Implementation using a global, with tagged configuration blog
  4. Tests blog
    • Without tagged configuration tests
    • With tagged configuration tests
2 Likes