Need advice: Looking to replace Chocolatey with...?

Hello,

I’m just learning Haskell and so far I used only Chocolatey since I was just on Windows. Moving some projects to Ubuntu, so I figure it’s a prefect time to get rid of Chocolatey.

I had a lot of issues with Chocolatey so far (like not being able to update or just not removing things after update) so I had to do it manually anyways, while wasting a lot of time on trying to troubleshoot.

So, I would like to try something different. Preferably something that has open source release for Windows and Ubuntu.

What would be beginner friendly and decent to learn with. I would need GHC, GHCi, dependency manager and hopefully some build tools.

Any advice is appreciated. :grinning:

1 Like

Hello George,
I suppose you are aware of GHCup, aren’t you?

If not, give it a try: works on both Linux and Win (the latter via WSL2).

3 Likes

GHCup also works on native windows without WSL2, even the TUI nowadays.

4 Likes

Thanks @f-a

Wasn’t aware of GHCup. I literally just installed Chocolatey because the lesson said so and never really checked any other options. Still a noob. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Is that just ‘wsl --install’ type of situation or is there more setting up needed?

@jaror

Is it pre-installed on Windows 10?

No, but it should be easy to install if you follow the installation instructions here: https://www.haskell.org/ghcup/

If you visit that site on Windows, it should automatically show the right instructions. It should look like this:

2 Likes