Clearer description of the Board responsibilities

Thanks Veronika. Perhaps you and others reading this thread can help turn these into text?

• Explicitly write responsibilities of Board members

The current list of responsibilities is

• Governance: leadership and direction - set strategy, provide guidance
  • Staff: appoint senior members of Foundation staff
  • Define, curate and track Foundation goals
  • Seek out opportunities to further the goals of the Foundation
  • Represent the Haskell community to the world: liaise with sponsors, public bodies (ACM, standards committees) etc
  • Ensure success and long-term continuity of the Foundation
  • Receive and review financial accounts

Do you have any suggestions for extra bullets to add to this list?

• Explicitly state the Area of competence of Board members

I guess that is close to what’s under “Criteria” near the bottom of the call for nomination. But clearly that didn’t work for you. Can anyone suggest some concrete words to use, in addition or instead?

• Add some words of motivation on why one would want to become a Board Member

Good idea. How about this: “Being a member of the Foundation Board means gives you the opportunity to contribute directly to the strategic direction of the Foundation, to help build the Haskell community, and to help promote the broader adoption of functional programming”.

Perhaps others can do better. Please help!

• Simplify wording, using more common synonyms to make it more accessible and understandable

That would be great. Could you suggest any specific changes? I’m the wrong person to guess, because English is my native language.

Thanks for helping with this. I’m personally very keen to encourage strong and diverse nominations to the Foundation Board.

Simon

2 Likes

I still have a vague understanding of what HF board members can actually do. For example, for me, it’s not clear what are real actions they can do. I guess, the best way to describe this is to provide several examples of what they can and can’t do. Specifically, what exactly from the following list they can do:

• Accept or Reject ergonomic dependent types proposal. This seems like a proposal affecting all GHC users, and it related to defining goals for the whole language. Or are they responsible for creating a poll and representing the community voice?
  • Decide what goes on the official Haskell.org website, maybe change the language mission to align it with HF goals.
  • Generally speaking, are they a link between the community voice and actual decision-making.
  • Decide on where to spend funding money and prioritise tasks (e.g. windows support vs better profiling)
  • etc.

Would be nice to have do and dont’s examples of responsibilities.

3 Likes

Thanks @ChShersh, for providing concrete examples to look at – as you suggest, it’s much easier to work in a concrete context.

• Accept or Reject ergonomic dependent types proposal.

No. This remains part of the GHC Steering Committee. But that committee is affiliated with the HF, and so the Board may work with the GHC SC on a proposal with far-reaching consequences.

• Decide what goes on the official Haskell.org website, maybe change the language mission to align it with HF goals.

This remains with the Haskell.org committee. Like the GHC SC, above, I expect the HF to represent the overall community in talking with Haskell.org.

• Generally speaking, are they a link between the community voice and actual decision-making.

Yes. It is my hope that the HF develop a polling function where it can source opinions from the community to help in decision-making.

• Decide on where to spend funding money and prioritise tasks (e.g. windows support vs better profiling)

Yes, absolutely. This is the easiest item to uphold.

Does this answer help? For me, these specifics are inferrable from the text already posted around the goals of the HF and call for nominations. But this is evidently not clear to others. Can you suggest specific rewordings of posted text to help make this clearer? Thanks!

1 Like

(I drafted this yesterday, but Richard overtook me.)

In fact, not this one. The HF must not supplant or replace the excellent work of existing groups. So, for example, the GHC Steering Group is responsible for making decisions about GHC proposals. Similarly, decisions about stack are taken by the stack team, and about Haddock are taken by the Haddock team.

The HF will, I hope, promote better communication between these groups. For example, if the GHC Steering Committee (which does its business in public) seemed likely to make a decision that caused consternation elsewhere, the HF might seek to promote a conversation about the consequences of such a decision.

The one concrete place where the HF Board has actual control is over any funds it manages to raise. And indeed, deciding how to deploy those resources is part of the responsibilities I copy/pasted above.

So indeed, you may say that the Board doesn’t have a lot of power! I think it’ll be more influential than powerful, and that may be no bad thing. As trust builds up, our community may become more tightly integrated. Really the one concrete thing over which the Board has full control is how to spend any money it raises.

Does that help to clarify? Can you suggest words that would help the call for nominations be clearer?

2 Likes

@rae, @simonpj, Thanks so much for your answers. It indeed clarifies things better :+1:

I am not that good at wording, but if some examples of those that were discussed here would be added on the page to show better what is going to be in the responsibilities of the Board Members, I think it will be super useful.

2 Likes

OK, thanks for all the suggestions. I propose the following specific changes to the Call for Nominations. Emily will execute on these changes shortly.

Everyone: feel free to suggest other improvements.

Simon

Under “Remit of the board”

• Replace “The Board provides the strategic leadership for the Foundation.” with “The Board provides the strategic leadership for the Foundation, and is the decision-making body for everything the Foundation does.”

• Add a bullet (after “Define, curate, and track…”)

• Deploy the funds raised by the Foundation to support the Foundation’s goals.
  • After the bullets add

The Foundation will not supplant or replace the excellent work of existing groups. So, for example, the GHC Steering Group is responsible for making decisions about GHC proposals. Similarly, decisions about stack are taken by the stack team, and about Haddock are taken by the Haddock team. The Board will hopefully influence these groups, and improve communication between them, but they remain individually responsible for decisions in their bailiwicks.

Under “Membership”

Add as a preamble (ie not a bullet)

Being a member of the Foundation Board means gives you the opportunity to contribute directly to the strategic direction of the Foundation, to help build the Haskell community, and to help promote the broader adoption of functional programming.

2 Likes

At the HF WG meeting today we also discussed expanding the bullet that says “Includes individuals with the skills, expertise and experience (e.g. technical, legal, organisational, community-building) that the Board needs.” to say be more specific:

Includes individuals with the skills, expertise and experience that the Board needs. Specifically

• technical
  • legal
  • financial
  • personnel, human resources
  • strategic leadership
  • organisational
  • community-building
1 Like

Yes I think that’s great

I read two great articles today about inclusion on the Board and thought it had some great recommendations to promoting diversity and inclusion in the Board and as a Board. Might be useful/interesting read for our HF Board too.

2 Likes

This topic came up during yesterday’s board meeting. Separately from the Haskell-specific obligations above, board members of 501©(3) charities in the U.S. have certain customary and legal responsibilities. This article gives a good overview of those responsibilities.

CC @dreixel

1 Like

I’ve seen strategic leadership mentioned a few times. Strategic leadership requires strategies. Strategies are best when coherent. Coherence happens when strategies don’t involve serious conflict over the resources required for their execution.

The main strategic goal seems to be: make sure Haskell at least survives, and ideally, thrives. The main strategic theme, so far, seems to be this: make Haskell more approachable. As a newbie, one who is, as usual, having a lot of trouble gaining traction on the learning curve, I’m happy to see agreement there.

Recently, I asked whether there was a marketing strategy (besides making Haskell more approachable, which amounts to “build a little better, and maybe a few more will come.”) I didn’t really get a “yes” to that. I got directed to a marketing task group (though with no link.) That was disappointing.

Now I’m going to ask you to believe several incredible things:

• every nonprofit has to make a profit in some form (not very monetary in the case of NPOs); in that sense, it’s a business. The “profit” is in how it makes “customers” (users and contributors) feel, and in how satisfied the donors are about how the situation is improving.

• there is no such thing as “the profit motive”, except for passive investors. In any competitive market, profit is actually a cost. It’s a way to signal to stakeholders that your enterprise is robust enough to simply distribute some surplus resources. This builds confidence for those times when you run at a loss. For a “nonprofit”, it’s the good will built up among users of the services provided, the volunteers, the paid employees, and the donors. For an organization like the Haskell Foundation, “losses” might be in for form of losses of reputation, like another language suddenly gaining on it, or some corporate embarrassment attributed to Haskell but not really Haskell’s fault, or simply some witty critic writing a viral piece about how Haskell sucks.

• as a business, a nonprofit is like any business, in that it’s essentially about marketing. If you can pay for services, you can potentially outsource everything else (even if it’s often not optimal, but this would take me into various theories about the economics of the firm, not very relevant here.) Marketing is the core.

Insane? I got these insights from Peter Drucker (most especially his book about managing nonprofits.) So, go argue with him. (Well, he’s dead, but you know what I mean.) The one exception is “marketing IS the business.” That’s from Robert Townsend’s Up the Organization, where he said to fire the entire marketing department. Understanding the market strategically is for the CEO and the entire C-suite. If they don’t understand the market, the organization is going to die, sooner or later.

Making Haskell more newbie-friendly is, in effect, price-based marketing. That’s good as far as it goes, because, right now, Haskell costs newbies a lot. Sure, you can download everything for free. But as a newbie, the cost you pay is in your time, effort and stress.

Price-based marketing is a very simple and obvious strategy, but execution incurs costs: sophisticated, experienced developers who are deep into the community mindset need to be motivated by the concerns of newbies, to provide the needed cost reductions in the product. That’s not always easy. So you’ll probably need more.

Marketing as a strategic discipline is very much about identifying emerging opportunities.’ These may exist because the competition is slackening in some niche, thus becoming more vulnerable. Opportunities can also emerge because of demographic changes, regulatory changes, new technologies, or dramatic improvements in existing technologies. Sometimes, more nuanced analysis of existing markets reveals that a market is under-exploited – there’s a sub-category that’s still not well served.

Inevitably, these windows of opportunity close. Strategic direction in marketing is therefore a constant process of monitoring the competitive environment and evaluating odds. Which windows look likely to open soon, based on existing trends? Which are open but not being rushed yet? Which could close soon, and are they worth trying for, at this late date? Of the choices generated, which one or two (ideally one) should get primary focus?

In the note where I asked “where is your marketing strategy?” I pointed out that branching out further into academia, where numerics are important but not (at least for initial research initiatives) overwhelming in their computational demands, Haskell might find some openings. Haskell is somewhat stereotyped as an academic language, but a focus on science and technology outside computer science, but still in academia, means geographic proximity. That is seldom a bad thing where face-to-face outreach can be effective. Haskell does decently well on floating-point benchmarks, especially compared to Python, which has become huge in “data science” (whatever that is! didn’t they used to call it “statistics”?) Some sciences are rather algebraic, and that’s another conceptual entry point.

I didn’t bring up this hypothetical strategic theme out of self-interest. My current evaluation of Haskell is in lexical semantics, where my goal may not involve a single floating point computation for my intended user base. And if lexical semantics was significantly algebraic, Chomsky would have swept the field, instead of throwing in the towel. I only gave it as an example of how to think about strategy.

To sum up:

You’re in business, whether you think of it that way or not.

You need to make a profit, whether you think of it that way or not.

Job #1 is marketing, whether you hate it or not,

And marketing on price, like it or not, means you’re starting from way behind other languages. Haskell is hard to learn. The error messages I’m wrestling with daily are practically screaming at me, “DON’T BUY HASKELL, IT’S AWFUL.” I keep going only because of one piece of code, written long ago, that makes me think I see something that very few have seen, and none have fully exploited.

So, you’ll have to become more strategic marketers. I’m sure you have the intellectual depth for it. After all, Haskell beat one of the most strategic retreats ever: “Avoid success at all costs.” The meaning was: “Don’t get trapped in de facto standardization long before optimality is in sight.” The result looks like a great product, just with a confusing user manual and some almost-opaque failure modes. Still, “avoid success at all costs” was very smart for its time, because few things sell better than quality, and most of Haskell’s current quality issues are ultimately superficial and fixable. Now, it’s time for the 180-degree turn. And that means getting very strategic about marketing, in a completely different way.

2 Likes

The management and marketing approaches that work well for a centrally-governed organisation are not easily applied in a highly diverse and distributed community with a multitude of values and ambitions. When you are pattern-matching some existing management and marketing solutions to a new problem, it is useful to carefully consider how well the pattern fits and especially where is does not fit. What sub-organizations do have the ability to execute what strategies, and how well? How would the large body of the community even react to a given strategy, infuencing resources and costs?

Adapting this to the (ill-fitting) market-speak, I’d say that before trying to strategize like that, it is vitally important to know your customer and know what the different layers of community would see or feel as “profit”, and that buying up the necessary shares requires patient long-term spending in communication effort and contribution initiative.

When you are “in business” and “need to make a profit” and therefore have to do “marketing”, it usually means obeying the market or losing, and only in exceptional cases can you just manipulate the market.

I imagine the “strategic leadership” is just helping the other members more efficiently organize themselves around the other bullet points (i.e. community-building with resource management)

2 Likes

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the haskell foundation. It is not seeking a “profit” in the sense of a return on investment over and above the amount expended, nor would expanding the raw quantity of Haskell users yield it any greater income directly. Haskell the language well predates the foundation, and, no disrespect to the foundation, will likely survive it (if only because the foundation is supplanted by another body better suited to its role as time progresses and things develop).

The most direct path to success for the haskell foundation is doing things that will please its donors and encourage more donors – and the pool of those is not new Haskell users, but rather the vast panoply of serious and established companies for whom Haskell is already a productive language that has established a strong value proposition, but who wish to help improve its ecosystem (including education surrounding it) still further and as directly as possible.

1 Like

I don’t believe I ever once thought that while reading the post.

One of the simplest take-aways I had was that yes, the HF and board needs to make a profit, and if they are not concerned about that, what else will retain or grow that awesome funding year after year? More importantly, we have to ensure those who have invested in the HF believe there is value in them continuing to do so. While contract-engineering shops based on Haskell will surely continue to do so (well, probably/mostly, but not in all cases), it’s significantly harder to retain investors who will more easily gravitate towards tools that meet their needs, and if a better tool eclipses Haskell in that regard for their business, so be it.

If this effort is to have impact, it must survive, and to survive, it must be successful in that regard (profit). I completely agree with @Yakushima on that.

Great post @Yakushima, thank you for investing your time and effort to share your thoughts with us all!

1 Like

Strategically, marketing is about new opportunities. If you keep it within the community, that’s keeping the efforts within people who are already sold. “Creating a customer” (one useful definition) is not the same as “customer support.”

1 Like

I think you didn’t read what I wrote. Here’s the relevant part again:

“every nonprofit has to make a profit in some form (not very monetary in the case of NPOs); in that sense, it’s a business. The “profit” is in how it makes “customers” (users and contributors) feel, and in how satisfied the donors are about how the situation is improving.”

Try reading the whole thing and understanding it, before asserting that I don’t understand something. I’m sure there are things about the Foundation effort that I don’t understand. On the other hand, I’ve been in business for two decades, I worked for a number of businesses before that, but I also I have my own not-for-profit effort going on the side. I’m pretty clear on the differences and similarities.

Going with your misreading of my sense of “profit” here anyway:

“The most direct path to success for the haskell foundation is doing things that will please its donors and encourage more donors.”

Well, in that case, I note that there’s a significant fraction of commercial Haskell that’s in cryptocurrency work, and that some cryptocurrencies raise millions, even billions, on their ICOs, so, if it was all about the money, you could define “success” for the Foundation as “winning big with Haskell-enabled insider trading of cryptocoins.”

But if that’s what it all comes down to, count me out. As it is, I don’t think that’s what’s going on here.

I think, theoretically, the Foundation could work out well without getting any money or spending any money (except perhaps to offset web-hosting fees, though in-kind donations of hosting are also possible.) In practice, getting some money and spending it wisely is just more practical. Some things just go faster that way. But if the Foundation couldn’t at least theoretically succeed without money, it’s not likely to succeed anyway.

So what is the “product” of a non-profit, if viewed as a business that makes this kind of “profit”?

Peter Drucker (significantly the inspiration for what I write here) said that the “product” of a non-profit is a changed human being.

Who pays for that “product”? Donors help viable non-profits with money (and other things) because creating positive change in other people, and being recognized for it, feels good. Volunteers as “payers” of time are similarly motivated – it’s just that they may have more time than money. And presumably the changed human being also feels better having “paid” by making a personal effort to engage with the organization. Persistent, consistent delivery of positive change in human beings is the “profit” that makes all other resources possible for the non-profit.

If I had to write a mission statement for the Foundation, it would be this:

The Haskell Foundation aims to use the best functional programming language in existence to help programmers get better at what they do, and to help organizations use those programmers to the benefit of their stakeholders and, where possible, the world.

Note that this mission statement works even if it turns out that Haskell can’t be the best functional programming language anymore. It can still be the Haskell Foundation. After all, who was Haskell Curry? From a biography:

“Everybody who knew the Currys was aware of how friendly and helpful they always were. Curry always did more for colleagues and students than be a source of important ideas (although, of course, his ideas have been of tremendous importance). He was always willing to listen to anybody who wanted to talk to him, to discuss their ideas, and to give whatever encouragement he could. His office door was always open. Also well known wherever the Currys lived was the hospitality they both showed. There were always many parties and other, less formal, gatherings. Curry also had a playful sense of humor.”

The foundation of the Foundation should be in the spirit of a man who was apparently always ready to help, who was always ready to follow wherever he couldn’t lead, and who apparently didn’t take himself too seriously.

1 Like

“When you are “in business” and “need to make a profit” and therefore have to do “marketing”, it usually means obeying the market or losing, and only in exceptional cases can you just manipulate the market.”

Since would-be adopters of Haskell must pay with their time, effort, and stress, there is in effect a market to be “obeyed” here, since people have other choices of languages. If the perceived cost is too high, either the perception must improve, the cost must be reduced, or both. Since marketing strategy is about taking advantage of new opportunities before they disappear (in Haskell’s case – get gobbled up by other languages), this means getting out ahead of damaging high-cost perceptions before they can form while actually reducing costs. And that means strategy needs to be oriented around where Haskell can move next, from its existing niches.

“I imagine the “strategic leadership” is just helping the other members more efficiently organize themselves around the other bullet points (i.e. community-building with resource management)”

No, that’s management. Leadership and management are not the same. One must first establish that a new opportunity exists and can be effectively pursued. That means going out and asking questions to understand what people beyond your current “customer base” (= “community”) want and whether you can deliver it to their satisfaction. Having confirmed an opportunity, one must then convey the confidence gained in the intellectual exercise to those who could help execute the strategy. It’s leadership in exploration, first, then in rallying potential participants to yield resources they might otherwise use in other ways. The goal isn’t management. It’s creating something to manage.

To be clear, the HF has a mission statement on its homepage (https://haskell.foundation/), and I think it is quite nice and to the point about the purpose of the organization. It also avoids the use of the word “stakeholders”.

“An independent, non-profit organization dedicated to broadening the adoption of Haskell, by supporting its ecosystem of tools, libraries, education, and research.”

There are also some nice principles laid out under “ethos”.

1 Like

“It also avoids the use of the word “stakeholders”.”

But it does use the word “ecosystem” – shame on us both :slight_smile:

Does supporting this (eco)system actually broaden the adoption of Haskell, in the face of other languages which may already have more of a competitive advantage in the four categories? Or does it just mean that Haskell loses mindshare and market share at a lower rate than if there was no such Foundation?

Likewise for Principles and Ethos. Lots of open source efforts at least claim to have such a character. Some actually do, but die anyway. Why? Lack of technical merit compared to others may be a big factor, but without scanning for emerging opportunities, evaluating them, and pursuing them, someone else will.

To take the ecosystem metaphor at face value: ecosystems consist of living things, and feature both competition and cooperation internally. Except where ecosystems have islands to themselves, the species within them must feature some tendency toward expansion or else they will be overrun by invasive species, sooner or later. Australia, meet the rabbit. In Australia’s case, the invasive species happened to be brought in by another invasive species, homo sapiens, but one that was at least armed with firearms and traps. Home sapiens was in the ecosystem but not of it – it was able to reason strategically about ecosystems rather than just operate instinctively within them. Without that, Australia would be far more of a desert than it is today.

I went with “stakeholders” with a shrug – the Foundation gets support from some commercial entities, so I guessed that the business buzzwords that those sponsors might themselves use would do. But “ecoystem”, well – for all we know, dodo birds were more intelligent than the human beings who hunted them to extinction. If so, they were still flightless, and not able to wrest a gun from a hunter and turn it on the hunters. I don’t know whether aiming for “success, but not at all costs”, by adhering to purely functional principles, means Haskell is ultimately flightless. But if it does, strategic marketing might at a least be a source of CRISPR-applied genes to acquire ostrich legs and thus run faster toward opportunities, and kick harder against competition – and maybe even strike fear in the hearts of opportunistic hunters.

I’ll drop “stakeholders” if the mission statement takes out “ecosystem” and substitutes “coherently directed organization.” :wink:

It may seem cowardly of me, but I should probably leave this discussion. I may already seem too much of a politicizing interloper. But really, I have to get back to learning, coding and . . . strategic marketing.

My own market – not just lexical semantics but a relatively small niche within it – is not something I can recommend as an important strategic direction for the Foundation. If what I write results in a user base of 30, I’ll call it success. If it gets to 60, a roaring success. The Foundation should be aimed at adding tens of thousands of new Haskellers in the coming decade. I only hope that I can add perhaps three, enough to help support what I write after I’m gone. At 65, I need to think in such terms. That three could be a stretch considering that my target market – linguistics students who have hardly mastered even one conventional programming language – isn’t a very likely one.

My strategy for appeal is two-pronged:

Success in academia for the few. Haskell could be a powerful tool for lexical semanticists to help produce publishable results in high-impact journals.

A hope of reasonable gainful employment for the many After all, even successfully working through the tutorial I’m drafting could be quite the peacock feather in the cap of a graduating linguistics student who is forced onto the not-so-tender mercies of the industrial job market.

Comments appreciated. Especially corrections, since I hardly know what I’m talking about, when it comes to the specifics of Haskell.

Sorry for the linguistics jargon, but to curry favor with a potential market, you have to learn something of its language.

Also sorry for all the irreverence. But these people will never be as worshipful of programming languages as us hackers, so I have to ditch the self-seriousness from the start.

2 Likes