Hello, foundation!

Thanks! I see “Enable mailing list mode” but I don’t see any explanation or help-link for what “mailing list mode” is. How can I find out?

Eh, Discourse doc is a WIP. This best explains ML mode. tl;dr: you will receive each message, like in a mailing list. If you do not want this, @rae suggestion is best (in «Notifications/Categories», choose the appropriate categories to watch).

I’m sure there’s a web page somewhere that explains the user model – categories, groups, modes, etc. Do you know where it is?

Here the Discourse New User Guide. You should also have recived a PM from a bot with useful info.

1 Like

Hi, everyone! I’m new to discourse, but just wanted to drop in and say hello.

5 Likes

Marvellous – thanks @jaspervdj

2 Likes

Welcome everyone! In terms of being low-traffic, well, you gotta start somewhere, as they say.

Discourse is clean and modern, and has a similar merit-model to that of StackOverflow. In an ideal world all help threads or announcements could go here, superseding (while not replacing per se) Reddit and original mailing lists.

4 Likes

Happy to see this happening! Thanks so much, everyone who help set this up, very appreciated! :raised_hands:

6 Likes

Glad to see the Haskell Discourse getting more use in general. I don’t have anything against Reddit or similar platforms specifically, but there is real upside to having a system that is owned and hosted by the community while also being more discoverable and accessible to newcomers than pure mailing lists.

However, I don’t think we can rely on any one forum for announcements today. If we want to reach as much of the Haskell community as we can—which seems key for transparency—we should systematically send important announcements to a number of different forums:

• haskell and haskell-cafe mailing lists
  • Reddit /r/haskell
  • Twitter
  • Discourse
  • more?

This means community discussions around announcements will be fragmented, but that’s just a reflection of how the community already operates. It’s more productive to adapt our approach to the community than trying to adapt the community to our preferred approach :).

In our last Haskell.org committee meeting, we talked about putting together a checklist of online Haskell communities so that we can consistently reach as many people as possible. Seems like something the Haskell Foundation should do as well. We might need a more nuanced approach in the future—perhaps having different levels of distribution depending on how important or widely applicable an announcement is—but that’s something that will be easier to develop on top of some explicit starting point.

5 Likes

Im quite happy this works with Mail. It does help the fracturing Tikhon mentioned a bit.

1 Like

I’m glad to see some happenings here!

Discourse has flaws compared to mailing lists, particularly noticeable for people who are well-versed in MLs and very comfortable with their tools.

But it also has a ton of good features for managing discussions, and is a lot more approachable to people who are not already comfortable with MLs. I’ve seen it create a lot more discussion in other communities that adopted it.

p.s. From personal experience as someone who loves mailing lists, I do not recommend “mailing-list mode” :grimacing:

1 Like

Great to see Discourse receiving more love and attention :heart:
Happy to see all the improvements! And thanks to everyone for making this happen :hugs:

5 Likes

At risk of being offtopic, what do you dislike about Discourse ML mode? I use it with mutt and I find it extremely comfortable: I can reply to a message via mail — like I am doing now —, filter posts on my MUA (since they are tagged) and even like (heart? +1?) without leaving the client.

If there are quirks for us mailing-list aficionados, maybe Discourse team wants to hear them!

I can reply to a message via mail — like I am doing now —, filter posts on my MUA (since they are tagged)

I didn’t know that. I’m replying by email now, to try it out.

I think we could do with a wiki page with advice about how to use the Haskell Discourse – it’s far from obvious, and there is no sense in everyone re-inventing the wheel.

Simon

image001.jpg

1 Like

The pinned Welcome to Haskell Discourse might be of immediate help («Email integration» section).

(@jaspervdj : I took the liberty to add a line on how to like posts)

2 Likes

Hmm, maybe there are more features and usability than I realized! And maybe features have been added since I last tried it!

P.S. One nice thing about Discourse is the ability to split a thread into a new topic, which eases the worry of trailing off topic.

1 Like

Indeed it is, thank you – but it’s hard to update with new information. It’d be lovely to have a wiki somewhere, where we can have a single, easily updated, guide.

Simon

image001.jpg

P.S. One nice thing about Discourse is the ability to split a thread into a new topic, which eases the worry of trailing off topic.

Interesting! I had no idea. How would one find out about that?

Simon

image001.jpg

2 Likes

There are instructions here, but apparently you gotta create the post first? https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-to-move-posts-to-a-new-topic/23930/24

€: can’t seem to find it :frowning:

You can click the little arrow symbol on the top left of the edit panel that pops up:

And then reply as linked topic:

2 Likes

Users (mods?) with sufficient privileges can also retroactively split a subtree into a separate post.

1 Like

To be honest, I have no idea short of word-of-mouth. I learned about it from an admin and moderator for another Discourse instance (where I also happen to be a mod, although not an active one).

I do know that Discourse’s philosophy is one of gradual discovery. As a user interacts with the site, they unlock additional features. This feature discovery path can be tweaked by admins, along with just about everything else on the site.

I’d certainly recommend that the Haskell Foundation invest in administrating and moderating the forum!

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I don’t know where to start, so I’m saying “hi” here (I know the thread is a little bit old but I didn’t find better place).

Thanks for all for what all of you do :+1:

I don’t know if I will be able to help in any way but if can it will be my pleasure.

See y’a in space haskellers :rocket:

3 Likes