Informal discussion about the progression of `base`

Can we clearly answer:

• why does base need to change?
  • what needs to be changed?
  • how this change is supposed to happen? What is the deprecation story, how can we prevent existing code from breaking abruptly?

I care deeply about not breaking code with each GHC release. As such decoupling base from GHC releases might be worthwhile. Then again this is mostly about stable a API, and no need for ecosystem churn for each compiler release.

5 Likes

Why does base need to change:
There seems to be an over emphasis on completeness over correctness, and/or reliance on a machine word sizes that change depending on the machine.

What needs to be changed:
toRational for Double produces non-sense values for NaN, and +/-Inf.
The existence of toEnum and fromEnum that produce non-sense for values larger than Int, which may be different depending on what machine you run it on.

Deprecation story:
There are already some documentation about these issues, but…
Implement a warning, then let everyone who depends on bad concepts fix their code.

And probably other similar things…

I think base is probably already too big, but I’d really like to see Fix and Comonad become a part of it. I’m actually a bit surprised that they’re not part of base, but things like Compose and Bifoldable1 are.

1 Like

Just to clarify, when I mean deprecation, I do not mean some document somewhere saying something should not be used. Any deprecation that is *not a compiler warning for at least 2 GHC releases (while base is tied to GHC) virtually does not exist.

3 Likes

The APIs can depend on such types, instead of using String & linked lists for everything that need UTF-8 grapheme clusters & efficient arrays. The fact that String & List currently have a prominent place in the ecosystem is not unseen elsewhere, Erlang used to have the same issue, but they managed to evolve. Now it’s our turn.

4 Likes

My Christmas wishlist:

• Vector readily available
  • Text readily available
  • A Display typeclass that is for user-facing output
  • PartialEq & PartialOrd, superclasses of Eq & Ord.
  • LinkedList as a type instead of brackets

Bonus: Less arrogance in terms of development experience and more observations of what other languages that are usually disregarded do to improve the baseline levels of programming joy for their users.

8 Likes

I can agree with all of this except for:

What makes these changes so urgent? I don’t understand what the point would be for PartialEq or PartialOrd, and I can’t recall seeing anyone else suggest a problem with brackets.

• Vector readily available
  • Text readily available

I’m still not sure what “readily available” means.

If cabal and stack by default depended on text and vector, and even by default set a custom prelude that exposed Text and Vector APIs rather than String ones wouldn’t that have the same effect?

• A Display typeclass that is for user-facing output

Why does this require changes to base?

• PartialEq & PartialOrd, superclasses of Eq & Ord.

Yup, this requires changes to base!

• LinkedList as a type instead of brackets

Do you want type LinkedList = [], or something more? If more, can it be done in a way that doesn’t horrendously break everything?

I hereby suggest a problem with brackets! They privilege with special syntax something that we shouldn’t particularly be encouraging.

3 Likes

did we forget to mention semigroupoids [1] in base? then we can get all the nice “non-empty” invariants out of the box.

1. semigroupoids: Semigroupoids: Category sans id
1 Like

Can you explain? I don’t understand what you mean.

1 Like

Presumably, because that would encourage people to stop making unlawful Show instances! Also, maybe GHCi etc. could use any new Display typeclass.

Maybe this is just my relative inexperience showing, but why shouldn’t we be encouraging linked lists? I’m not convinced that Seq, Array or Vector make better tradeoffs in general.

2 Likes

Regarding Partial Ord & Eq: Some things simply cannot have total equality or ordering. For instance Double, Float:

And for a language coming from a culture of mathematical foundations who like correctness, I think it’s a scandal.

and I can’t recall seeing anyone else suggest a problem with brackets.

That’s on me, I used to complain more loudly about that in community spaces :slight_smile:
Fundamentally, giving the lion’s share in terms of sequence syntax to a lazy linked list is not good. People use it for everything, encouraged by the fact that base uses it for everything, and tend to forget about the asymptotic complexity of the structure. It is a structure that often times not what you need, but typing [a] in a type signature is sooooo convenient. :frowning:

5 Likes

I don’t mean they should be discouraged, but they shouldn’t be encouraged either. Since they’re so prominent in base they are, currently, actively encouraged.

What we should do instead is, as you hint, encourage people to think about their use case and choose [], Seq, Array, Vector or Conduit/Stream as appropriate. (Seq is a good default in my opinion.)

1 Like

Ah, good point. instance Ord Float is cursed…

And good points also. Though if we’re talking about such radical changes, I’d suggest getting rid of [] in types entirely: just encourage people to choose per-usecase!

Data.Vector & Data.Text in base. I wouldn’t say in Prelude because of the API clashes.

If cabal and stack by default depended on text and vector, and even by default set a custom prelude that exposed Text and Vector APIs rather than String ones wouldn’t that have the same effect?

Uuuuh, as a cabal maintainer I would like to first make sure that you sign a contract with your own blood before implementing such a thing within cabal. :slight_smile:
Other languages do it very well without dirty hacks in their package managers, why not us?

Why does this require changes to base?

base ought to promote a non-Show way of printing a representation of its data structures.

cf: Display in Rust or the difference between the Inspect and String.Chars in Elixir, one for pretty-printing data structures and the other to provide the to_string method.

Do you want type LinkedList = [], or something more?

Actually I want type LinkedList = GHC.List.List, just like bytestring got the StrictByteString alias (cf: Strictness and laziness ergonomics · Issue #375 · haskell/bytestring · GitHub)

1 Like

Though if we’re talking about such radical changes, I’d suggest getting rid of [] in types entirely: just encourage people to choose per-usecase!

Yes that’s my point, LinkedList instead of the brackets. :slight_smile:

as a cabal maintainer

Two can play at that game! As a CLC member I’d like you to swear on the memory of your entire ancestral tree before asking me to maintain a significantly increased codebase!

What I’m getting at here is an attempt to disentangle the good things we want from the way in which we obtain good things.

Having text and vector APIs directly accessible is a good thing. I agree. People seem to be assuming that the only way to make them directly accessible is by putting them in base. I’m trying to challenge that assumption with thought experiments (not proposals) (such as the cabal idea).

I suggest we discuss what are good things first and then independently discuss how to obtain the good things.

3 Likes

I’m trying to challenge that assumption with thought experiments

Ah sorry, I didn’t take it as such first and that sent me in a rabbit hole of practical implementation details x)

So, my last arguments regarding their inclusion in base are the following:

• base ought to be able to use those types for the APIs it exposes

• The complexity of hiding the inclusion of these packages in the package manager is not something I believe we can withstand at this time because it is indeed technically very complex to provide a development experience to users that is not going to be hellish.

2 Likes

That’s no problem, perhaps I shouldn’t have been so concrete. What I’m really saying is “suppose these things weren’t in base, but there was some other tooling thing that makes life as convenient as if they were”.