GHC 9.10.1-alpha3 is now available

This duality can be achieved with nightlies (see rust), while maintaining a very slow cadence on the stable channel. It may be more work for the compiler team, but nothing comes for free. It is about priorities in the end.

2 Likes

This study doesn’t seem to support that rapid releases cause higher quality either: https://seal-queensu.github.io/publications/pdf/EMSE-Foutse-2015.pdf

If you find a more recent study, that would be interesting.

In my own experience, the major benefits of rapid releases are for the project and less so for the end users, because you’re increasingly utilizing end users for QA purposes, but in a low impact way. That still causes churn for everyone involved (including open source supply chain), but that’s not work the project maintainers do and as such is easy to neglect.

With nightlies (and prereleases), this becomes opt-in and is more transparent, imo.

3 Likes

I believe this seeming paradox can be resolved by the hypothesis that what both groups want is less busywork per unit time.

I suspect that the group that wants GHC to release faster thinks they will have less busywork if they can address breaking changes in smaller increments, and that the group that wants GHC to release slower thinks they will have less busywork if they can address more breaking changes in one go, to avoid frequent context switches.

The simplest way to please both groups is, I think, to cause less busywork by making fewer breaking changes.

1 Like

This is an argument to increase throughput, while my argument above was to increase latency.

1 Like

The GHC team are also downstream of certain stakeholders: namely, the people and organizations that fund or directly contribute new features. I’m sure they don’t like waiting 6 months to get the thing they already worked for.

Indeed. The efforts to decouple GHC’s unstable internals from the Template Haskell API, GHC’s own API, and the base library seem like important work in that direction.

1 Like

I’m afraid this seems like a non-argument.

This is what nightlies and prereleases can deliver. It allows to merge features early, allows ghcup to distribute bindists for use of of those early adopters without compromising the experience of the larger Haskell community.

GHC development being affected by the fear of losing clients/funding seems like a precarious situation (if that is the case). I had hoped that the HF, as a middleman, would be able to alleviate such concerns.

1 Like

I wouldn’t read too much into it. I’m just saying that, as a class, people who implement new features do exist. And if I was one of them, I’d definitely want to see those features in a stable release, so that I could actually use them in production.

1 Like

Again: it boils down to priorities. Do you prioritize new features/contribution experience over, say, average end user experience?

I am interested to know what GHC HQs priorities are. Maybe we’re just talking past each other, maybe not.

And here’s another attempt of pleasing both sides without compromising early merging of new features and average end user experience: Add -experimental flag by angerman · Pull Request #617 · ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals · GitHub

1 Like

This is an interesting conversation but I’m not sure what to take away from it.

Let us just remind ourselves: we all want the same thing, a Haskell ecosystem in which both upstream and downstream contributors feel valued and listened to, and in which friction is minimised. We may have different opinions about how to address that goal, especially with limited resources, but the more we talk to each other the more likely we are to build a healthy ecosystem.

With that in mind, here’s my summary:

• Everyone wants less breakage. More precisely, (BG1): If a program compiles and works with GHC(X) then it should compile and work with GHC(X+1). This is the goal I express in this GHC stability state of play page. It is surprisingly difficult to acheve, for the reasons laid out there, but progress is being made on a number of fronts.

• Library updates. Where we fail to achieve (BG1) we are stuck with the library-update problem. If you depend indirectly on package P, and package P needs some modification to compile with GHC(X+1), then you have to wait for all the package authors between you and P to update their packages before you can compile with GHC(X+1). That is why we have head.hackage for testing GHC; and it was the motivation behind the GHC.X.Hackage proposal. I understand the reasons for disliking GHC.X.Hackage; but I don’t know any other way to address the library-update problem, except by achieving (BG1).

I’m not sure what actions, if any, to take here.

• Release schedule

• Within a particular release, if we are forced to delay the schedule we should delay the entire remaining schedule, rather than compressing it to maintain artificial deadlines. E.g. if alpha-3 is delayed, we should delay RC1 too etc.

• Perhaps we should rename alpha-3 as RC1, since many downstream users may not start work until they have a “release candidate”, for understandable reasons.

• I’m not getting a strong signal in favour of more frequent releases, or less-frequent releases; just in favour of high-quality releases.

Does anyone else have actionable take-aways to suggest?

5 Likes

Does anyone else have actionable take-aways to suggest?

Sure, the nightly releases were quite promising to enable library maintainers (like me) to stay on top of the game and catch breaking changes and bugs on real-world codebases earlier. CI setups would greatly benefit from these, as well as people who wish to use experimental features that haven’t made it into a stable branch yet. The moment GHCHQ can vouch for nightly releases being produced and cared for, this will certainly greatly help with the trust in the periodical releases.

2 Likes

I’m in favor of more minor releases and less major releases, so that there are less GHC branches to maintain and the ones that are there will have a longer shelf life, allowing for more backports (not just of bugfixes, but also performance improvements and other things).

At the moment, I can barely update my own code bases to 9.6.x (lots of small problems)… and GHC HQ is already in the process of pushing out 9.10. I don’t see how I can keep this up, honestly. GHCup still recommends 9.4.8, but it’s effectively already abandoned by GHC HQ: GHC Status · Wiki · Glasgow Haskell Compiler / GHC · GitLab

Other alternatives were discussed previously, but I don’t remember all the arguments against it… I don’t have a lot of visibility on the pain points and cost centers of GHC maintenance:

• GHC LTS releases (long-running branches)
  • rust model: very conservative stable releases, fast iterating nightlies (this might effectively be like maintaining two compilers)
  • language editions (so that I can opt out of all breaking changes, even with newer compilers)

So I won’t put forward an opinion on whether any of those are feasible.

5 Likes

GHC nightlies were unfortunately a failure and their advertisement has been removed from GHCup (@chreekat agreed to that at the time). That was one of the things that motivated the midstream bindist proposal: https://github.com/hasufell/tech-proposals/blob/midstream-bindists/proposals/0000-midstream-bindists.md#ghc-nightlies

As it stands, nightlies require robust architecture and persistent storage to be usable and that may be an unnecessary time sink for GHC HQ. However, I don’t know if I will have time for that this year either.

1 Like

If you have the energy, it would be great if you could write down what problems you ran into

1 Like
2 Likes

I forked off a reply GHCup changes required for GHC 9.6

1 Like

I guess I would like to get to point where basically current ghc9 would correspond to Stackage LTS and ghc10 to Nightly.

Well I guess forward-looking I really mean: ghc10 would be stable (ie the same Stackage LTS major version could use GHC 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4,… minor versions). Whereas GHC nightly might live in Stackage “experimental” (nightly) say.

This would require a complete change of versioning and releases of course. New features could be gradually backported as needed/desired to stable releases if they don’t break stable GHC.

In the ideal stable world, ghc10 would then be the last final stable major version of GHC (à la rust 1) ever.

Nightlies as they they were promised to exist have been consistently available for the last 6 months. (see here).

I don’t think it’s very helpful language to label them as a “failure”. It’s more of a difference in opinion between @hasufell and GHC developers about the level of resources to invest in their production. There doesn’t seem to have been very much uptake in using nightlies so it is difficult to justify further investment in improving the infrastructure around them.

Promised where/by whom?

This design document from the HF talks about indefinite bindist retention and predictable URLs in the requirements section. Neither of that is the case at the moment.

Also, looking at the availabilty stats of nightlies: https://grafana.gitlab.haskell.org/d/ab109e66-a8a1-4ae9-b976-40e2dfe281ab/availability-of-ghc-nightlies-via-ghcup?orgId=2&refresh=1d

Half of the time, nightlies are stale (not produced for a given day). Mainly because of architectural issues with CI (divergence of validate and nightly pipelines), which is still not fixed: #23601: ghcup-metadata: In nightly pipelines, still generate the metadata even if some of the jobs fail · Issues · Glasgow Haskell Compiler / GHC · GitLab

As I repeatedly explained to you privately Julian, the nightlies were only ever promised to be provided on a best-effort basis by exposing what already existed as part of nightly pipelines to users. The document you link clearly says at the top that it’s not the final plan. The expectations about availability are documented on the GHC Wiki.

In retrospect it seems that it would have been much better to not engage with this project at all.

Maybe we should move away from the subject of the nightlies since it is clearly touching some raw nerves.

2 Likes