Botan bindings devlog

@Axman6 I am down for a video chat to discuss your needs in depth - just send me a private message and we’ll pick a time.

I have a lot to say in response to all this but saying it all would take time that I need to spend getting botan updated / released. So you get fragmented notes in the name of expediency :slight_smile: I hope they are not too insensible.

• It is brave of you to be testing out the high-level interfaces when they are unstable

• Super glad you are interested
    • I am trying to keep this in mind, but when I push the release (cross your fingers that its within a day or two) things may change (for the better I hope!)
    • The focus has been on getting everything working in at least one way - then, we can deal with different interfaces
  • Data families vs witness / proxy

• I don’t mind providing more than one interface, I just happen to like data families
      • Am planning on interfaces that also take a alg value witness or Proxy alg as an alternative, like crypton/ite
    • Most other cryptography operations have multiple types that must work together so data families really works for them
    • Witnesses are simple when you only have a single operation to apply them to
      • Witnesses get hard when you have to apply them to every function in a multi-step operation
      • Or when you need multiple or compound algorithms
    • Your specific use case is the classic weak spot for data family type inference, eg when:
      • Inferring from the return type as the only mention of the actual type as you cited
      • Inferring a type that is not visible to the outer scope (eg, digestBytes $ hash "foo")
    • Hashing only has one related type, which is also produced as an output
      • This means hashing in particular doesn’t work as well with data families, but it does work well with witnesses
      • Being consistent overall is worth the tradeoff though
      • We can still expose a witness / proxy -based interface too so this pain is temporary
  • There is a difference between incremental / online and mutable

• I’m not surprised you are having issues because I’ve been wanting to improve this are in particular - its confusing and so you should expect a lot of change here in the coming update(s)
    • Incremental is really about online ie chunked processing, I want to reduce it to Strict vs Lazy ByteStrings so a typeclass may then be unnecessary
    • Mutable is really about stateful contexts
      • A crypton/ite -style mutable interface is planned
  • Pure interfaces - only Hash has copyState, so specifically for hashes it is possible to make a stepwise pure interface out of a mutable interface, but for other operations it is not

• This is actually sensible if you stop to think about it
      • Most cryptographic operations, copying state is highly undesirable or an outright information leak, so they don’t
      • hashing is a rare exception as you may be hashing things sharing the same prefix, so there is a major efficiency gain
      • The same is not necessarily true for other operations eg encryption and signing, especially anything using nonces
    • The botan hash state is mutable, so I am highly averse to pretending that it is pure
      • Need to guarantee that the IO actions are only run once each, and that they are run in the right order
    • Can make a copy of the hash state for every ‘pure’ function, but this is inefficient - but it is possible
    • Can pretend that its pure if we pretend that it is linear (ie, the result is only used once as an argument for the next action)
    • Trying to avoid a class-splosion
    • A similar issue regarding pure vs mutable interfaces can be seen in random with RandomGen vs StatefulGen
  • Regarding memory, I too liked the ByteArrayAccess class and friends, however there are issues that make me hesitant to include it as a dependency

• The source repository has been archived by the author and is read-only
    • It does not appear to be maintained (and so may warrant initiating a takeover process)
    • botan-low has an absolutely minimal dependency footprint (aside from the botan library itself)
    • However, I have already been considering that it may be worth reviving those classes due to their utility

I hope that is readable and relevant. It will make more sense when I publish the code.

1 Like

[memory] does not appear to be maintained (and so may warrant initiating a takeover process)

It is confirmed that none of Vincent Hanquez’ packages will be maintained, nor has he given an ok for taking it over. He’s ok with anyone forking it and using a new name, so that’s what’s been happening with crypton(ite) and (crypton-)x509 etc.

Xeno’s Paradox Progress

I’ll keep this short; progress toward an update / release is ongoing; I feel as though every update we get about half the remaining work done, but discover more to do. However, an update is good, and I’m trying to not stress about it :slight_smile: It has gotten a bit slow because now I might spend the entire day chasing down one specific operation on one specific algorithm in order to verify that it is well-behaved. The closer you look, the more detail there is to be seen.

Regardless, progress:

• All the botan modules are now 100% functional-complete
  • Significant reorganization of modules to reduce their number
  • Lots of improvements to PubKey, including post-quantum Kyber / Dilithium algorithm parameters
  • There are proper newtypes for everything, and so type safety is significantly improved
  • Basic unit tests for botan are in progress, and are the major blocker for release now
  • Some massaging / improvements are still needed per catching exceptions and turning them into Either / Maybe when appropriate
    • This bears pondering, as there are some failures where an exception is far more appropriate
    • An example: encrypt is a general function for multiple algorithms; some algorithms have specific handling requirements for plaintext length and chunking, and failure to validate may throw an exception if the function is provided inappropriate arguments - this failure is different from failing to decrypt because of using the wrong key or auth and should return Nothing rather than throwing an exception.
    • This is important because otherwise we have to make a function like encrypt return a Maybe Ciphertext even though encryption really shouldn’t fail the same way decrypt can. This would result in an un-ergonomic interface.
    • I am strongly leaning towards providing validation functions for input, throwing exceptions in the standard functions (and maybe an Either variant that doesn’t), and saving Maybe for functions like decrypt that are expected to fail in specific ways.
  • All of the typeclasses / type family / algorithm-specific modules are still separated out for the moment, will need some minor merging back in, and may not make the initial botan release (as to better focus on the immediate needs)

I’m trying to get this out sooner rather than later, but it will require a minor update to the lower libraries, and I’ll need to make sure I don’t goof that up - I’m thinking I’ll bump botan-bindings and botan-low from 0.0.1 to 0.1.0 because I think there a few minor breaking changes, and release the first version of botan as 0.1.0.

4 Likes