Data-forced 0.1.0.0 released

Hello everyone,

I am excited to release the first version of data-forced 0.1.0.0. You can get it on

This is a library to avoid reference leaks (liveness leaks) on long lived data structures close to main. It does so without using explicit seq or bang patterns, instead using CBV functions, unlifted data type and tagging evaluated values with a unexported newtype constructor. It is a bang pattern you cannot forget!

The big idea

We should not throw the information that a value was forced to WHNF or NF. We neither should be required to remember to put a seq or BangPattern at the use site to maintain this invariant.

We accomplish this using two newtypes:

• newtype ForcedWHNF a = ForcedWHNF a
  • newtype ForcedNF a = ForcedNF a

that don’t have their constructors exported. Only unidirectional patterns are provided so you can de-structure them.

The only way to construct values of these types is via two CBVs functions:

• strictlyWHNF :: forall a. a -> Strict (ForcedWHNF a)
  • strictlyNF :: forall a. NFData a => a -> Strict (ForcedNF a)

The Strict data type is inspired by its analog on the data-elevator package. It is a UnliftedDatatype, which means it cannot contain bottoms. The dynamic semantics of bound values of unlifted data types is that before being bound, these are evaluated to WHNF. It is a BangPattern you cannot forget!

Once you obtain the Strict (ForcedWHNF a) value, you de-structurate it to obtain the lifted ForceWHNF a and store that. You are guaranteed that the references necessary to force it to WHNF are now free. Hopefully you will store it on a data structure that requires values to have been forced before like

import Data.Map.Lazy

type Accum1 = Map Char (ForcedWHNF Int)
    type Accum2 = Map Char (ForcedNF (Maybe Text))

How to use it

You should tag your long lived data structures with the correct type as in the previous example. It is less ergonomic than bang patterns, but you cannot forget to put them at the call site, parse not validate.

import Data.Map.Lazy as ML -- Spine strict

-- No references on added leafs even though it is a lazy map.
    basicEvent
      :: ML.Map Char (ForcedWHNF Int)
      -> IO (ML.Map Char (ForcedWHNF Int))
    basicEvent map0 = do
      let val0 :: Strict (ForcedWHNF Int)
          -- val0 = strictlyWHNF (error "argument evaluated") -- would fail
          val0 = strictlyWHNF (2 + 2)
          -- CBV function, 2 + 2 reduced before val0 is bound.
          Strict val1 = val0  -- De-structure
          map1 = ML.insert 'a' val1 map0
      pure map1

-- Same as before, but not references to values that were deleted and
    -- not forced.
    basicEventPromptDeletion
      :: Strict (ML.Map Char (ForcedNF (Maybe Int)))
      -> IO (Strict (ML.Map Char (ForcedNF (Maybe Int))))
    basicEventPromptDeletion (Strict map0) = do
      -- map0 evaluated before being bound.
      let val0 :: Strict (ForcedNF (Maybe Int))
          val0 = strictlyWHNF ((+1) <$> Just 28)
          Strict val1 = val0  -- De-structure
          map1 :: Strict (ML.Map Char (ForcedNF (Maybe Int)))
          -- forced when bound as map1
          map1 = Strict (ML.insert 'a' val1 map0)
      pure map1

Acknowledgment

Sebastian Graf (sgraf812) should take all the credit. I was inspired by his data-elevator package that solves a sightly different problem. He infact pushed the proposal for unlifted data types and made the work to integrate them to GHC.

14 Likes

Nice work! I had a quick look: You decided to model Strict as an unlifted data type instead of a wonky newtype to achieve zero-cost. I’m relieved to see that, because the approach in data-elevator does not exactly follow well-trodden paths in GHC; it might well be the case that it simply moves around or throws away the Strict and Lazy newtype wrappers or crashes the compiler (although I haven’t observed that so far).

2 Likes