Haskell Interlude 44: José Manuel Calderón Trilla

Wouter and Niki interview Jose Calderon, the new Executive Director of the Haskell Foundation. Jose tells why he applied for the job, how he sees the foundation developing over the coming years, and how you can get involved in the Haskell community.

12 Likes

Thanks for this great podcast!

I think somehow this last episode has not ended up on the RSS feed. And that’s why, for example, AntennaPod is not picking it up.

3 Likes

Thanks, there was a button that I didn’t press yet, fixed!

3 Likes

get that Slack to be more active and have people on it, exchanging ideas, helping each other

[…] this is one that we run. We have a say in how it can be moderated, et cetera. And so I feel comfortable pointing people to it.

Why does the Haskell Foundation need its own synchronous chat venue? You say that you run the Slack, but do you really? It’s a proprietary service, they hold the posted messages ransom (see low-volume channels like #stackage)

It’s an appeal to authority to say “use ours because we run it”. It’s not a convincing argument.

I think I worded it a bit wonky, and I apologize for the confusion.

I don’t believe it’s an appeal to authority as much as it’s alignment of incentives. The HF is invested, in principal and in material ways, in the success of the Haskell community. Some sponsors have expressed concern about moderation practices and accountability. Having a space where we we have a say in moderation helps address those concerns.

I’m very open to alternatives, though!

1 Like

I’ve been working closely with Jose on the Botan Cryptography project to keep it on track and organized, so I’ve seen a lot of what he talked about, from the inside - his efforts are significantly appreciated!

2 Likes