Haskell plush toy

As far as I know nothing came out of the poll and there is nothing in production.

Given we’re at it, let’s try to ping @david-christiansen to see whether the Haskell Foundation could be interested in founding/leading this

1 Like

Let me get back to you on that one - are you looking for there to be a webshop where you can buy them?

A sloth would be an amazing mascot for Haskell!

How about let’s not pick a mascot? Having a bunch of Haskell plushies, dependent on individual tastes, is useful merchandising.

I am sure people will go for Haskell cat, others will go for Haskell sloth (Zurihac), and some will buy a type spaghetti Haskell mascot.

Plushie buying is addictive.

Why don’t we just start with sloth, then move onto Haskell cat (lazy cat, category theory) and see what demand exists from there.

2 Likes

There’s also something very Haskell about everyone choosing their own mascot extensions.

7 Likes

More than how to sell them, at this point there would be the need of a initial investment to design the real mascot and fund initial production, manage storage…

Then they could be also sold physically at Haskell events (that’s how it mainly happens in PHP, where I got the initial idea from)

This is not something that I know much about - I’ll see if there’s a way to make it happen that doesn’t eat way too much time and money, though.

I’m not inclined to declare an Official Haskell Mascot, but a stuffed animal need not be the Official Mascot in order to exist.

2 Likes

What if we have a zen mascot; the (); you can engage it’s presence by noting that absence of a specific thing at any particular time. It’s harder to sell, but that’s probably a good thing.

1 Like

Best comment yet, thank you.

Insider technical jokes reinforce the worst stereotypes about Haskell and its advocates. If you squeeze the toy, it leaks!! Get it?? Haskell leaks too!!! That’s funny!!

This is a branding exercise more than fan fiction, so it’s great to first establish the objectives and success criteria. Then, we can evaluate branding mascots against the bigger goals.

4 Likes