New Haskell logo just dropped

4 Likes

Corresponding PR for haskell.org: Add Logo option UwU by HEIGE-PCloud · Pull Request #292 · haskell-infra/www.haskell.org · GitHub

3 Likes

It raises a serious question: what, if anything, protects the logo used by Haskell.org, Inc on the websites it manages from perceived ‘misuse’.

EDIT: For example, here, what could be read into the use of a ‘bag of money’ icon in the image by some?

1 Like

For example, here, what could be read into the use of a ‘bag of money’ icon in the image by some?

Due to the nature of human cognition, perception is not something you can control exactly, the best you can do is steer it in some direction. If someone perceives the money bag as a something that is unrelated to our extensive usage of the character $, the best we can do is to correct them.

(Personally, I sing to myself “Shadow wizard money gang” each time I see the money bag. Obviously I’ll see you all in court next week because we cannot cast spells.)

1 Like

There are other alternatives to having to correct people who ‘read’ the ‘bag of money’ reference differently (pejoratively, even) to ‘$ is a common operator in Haskell code’, and that is not to use the image in its current form and like a logo on the web sites managed by Haskell.org, Inc.

1 Like

The PR is up, feel free to argue there :+1:

1 Like

I’ve posted at the repository suggesting that the PR affecting www.haskell.org is not merged until the implications of doing so have been considered by the members of the Haskell.org Committee and/or the board of directors of Haskell.org, Inc. EDIT: The board of directors next meets on 9 May, so that would not introduce a long delay.

I quite like the moneybag.

Somehow I suspect those are AI-generated, and abundant usage of $ and <$> convinced the AI to add a money bag :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

4 Likes

Link and pic seems to 404.

4 Likes

It just became 404, perhaps the repo was made private.

I believe the author is recreating the repository for some reason (but I can’t find the tweet I read earlier that said that).