HLS: last call for maintainers for stan, haddock-comments, and tactics plugins

HLS is organized into a set of plugins which provide individual pieces of functionality. The core HLS team maintains some of the key plugins, but many are contributed and maintained by other people.

Plugins often need fairly active maintenance in order to ensure that they keep up with new versions of GHC. The following plugins have not been maintained, and hence have not been enabled for three major versions of GHC:

This is a last call for keen maintainers who would be interested in updating them, otherwise they are going to be removed from the HLS source tree entirely.

16 Likes

It would be so sad to see wingman go

5 Likes

On the other hand, hopefully this means someone steps up to reimplement some of the fairly basic functionality that HLS has been lacking for the last two years because it was tied up with Wingman, e.g. case splitting.

1 Like

The state of stan is very sad. I have brought it up to date with 9.4 and I suspect 9.6 would not be hard. But I have received no response from the stan maintainers.

3 Likes

I’ve written about this plenty of places, but Wingman is unfortunately very difficult to maintain without a good story around pretty-printing and altering GHC Haskell trees.

I think @david-christiansen maybe the HF could have some role here getting a ball rolling on the work required to make exact-printing useable for GHC.

8 Likes

FWIW, I am paying attention to exact printing again at the moment.
And currently busy with a refactoring of it in GHC, that should hopefully improve things a bit.
But it will take some time still.

6 Likes

I tried to use your forked version, but it looks like it is using a private version of clay. Could you please make that public, too?

Which branch/commit are you using? The current version of my branch 9.4-compat doesn’t require anything special for dependencies: it takes them all from Hackage.

(Specifically, commit dde9cb3)

ah, I was using branch 9.2, since that’s the GHC version I’m using. I’ll try with the 9.4-compat one. Thanks for the fast reply!

I guess the branch name is confusing. What it means is “works with everything up to and including 9.4”. Let me know if you have any problems with it. I hope it works well for you!

1 Like

@alanz Great to hear. Thank you for pushing on this!

1 Like