Judges sought for upcoming Paradigm Conference for younger students

Through my role at the Haskell Foundation, I was recently contacted by Rohan Mehta (@Tasaloris13), who is collaborating with others to organize the Paradigm Conference (https://esolangconf.com/), a virtual event aiming to get high schoolers (ages 14-18, roughly) excited about non-mainstream languages. Haskell will be one of the highlighted languages.

The conference is in need of volunteer judges on Sat-Sun, Sept 24-25. (They need one judge for each day, though one person could serve both days.) On Sat Sept 24, the conference will have students work in groups to solve programming problems. Correctness will be checked in an automated fashion, the Rohan wants a human Haskeller to assess the solutions’ style: is it idiomatic Haskell, not just e.g. translated Java? For Sun Sept 25, students will be using Haskell to throw together a solution to a practical problem; judges will want to assess the viability of the approach as well as to offer feedback on the code itself. Judging can be done asynchronously (participants will be attending from around the world), but should be done same-day.

I met with Rohan earlier and am excited about this event. Many of you may know that I taught high school full-time for 8 years before getting my PhD, and outreach to this group remains something I care deeply about. Sadly, I cannot offer myself as a volunteer due to other commitments the weekend of the event. Would anyone else out there like to step up? Help spread Haskell to a new audience! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Do you have an estimate of the time commitment? How many students? Will it be a full day of reviews? Half a day?

Sorry for the extremely late response, as I did not get an email notification. If you would still be interested, we estimate that it will be an hours time commitment on both Saturday the 24th and Sunday the 25th and can be done completely asynchronously. The first day will consist of grading ~20 short programs for how idiomatic and well documented there are, and providing very short feedback (one-to-two sentences), all over email. The second day will consist of using a rubric to grade mini-projects completed in Haskell, over Devpost. We have 130+ students registered right now, but across five different languages. We currently expect the Haskell population to be about 50ish students divided into teams of 5, so ten teams total. Once again, sorry for the delay.