Should `optional` be a member of `Alternative`?

Everybody loves a debate about changing some base type classes, right?

The Alternative class has four members right now: empty and (<|>), of course, and some and many. The latter two have default implementations, and are presumably there so that they can be overridden (for performance?).

For many common types, though, those default implementations are entirely worthless. They very easily fall into infinite loops on non-trivial inputs. For example, some (Just 0) ought to be Just [0,0..], but instead it loops forever:

some v = some_v
  where
    many_v = some_v <|> pure []
    some_v = liftA2 (:) v many_v
some (Just 0)
  = some_v
  = liftA2 (:) (Just 0) many_v -- liftA2 is strict in last arg, so...
  = liftA2 (:) (Just 0) (some_v <|> pure []) -- <|> is strict in first arg, so...
  = liftA2 (:) (Just 0) ((liftA2 (:) (Just 0) many_v) <|> pure [])
  -- ... and so on...

Similar thing happens with some [0..2] (which ought to be repeat [0,0..]) and some (ZipList [0..2]) (which ought to be ZipList [[0,0..],[1,1..],[2,2..]]).

This is all mildly disappointing, but here’s something that would be pretty cool if it worked:

import Control.Applicative.Backwards

-- | Create an infinite list of infinite lists with elements
-- drawn from the input list. I am bad at naming functions.
--
-- >>> traverse_ print $ take 10 $ map (take 4) $ wezzle [0..2]
-- [0,0,0,0]
-- [1,0,0,0]
-- [2,0,0,0]
-- [0,1,0,0]
-- [1,1,0,0]
-- [2,1,0,0]
-- [0,2,0,0]
-- [1,2,0,0]
-- [2,2,0,0]
-- [0,0,1,0]
wezzle :: [a] -> [[a]]
wezzle = forwards . some . Backwards

This should work! The effect of Backwards is to reverse the order of effects in a liftA2, so under Backwards instead of endlessly trying the first element forever, some should iterate over the possibilities for the first element before moving on to the others. Neat stuff, except for the fact that it also fails in an infinite loop. Even with the effects of liftA2 reversed, the implementation of (<|>) for lists is (++), which is strict in its first argument. So when we reduce many_v = some_v <|> pure [], we go right back to reducing some_v on an infinite ride.

But in a lazy language, we shouldn’t have this issue. We know that some_v <|> pure [] is going to be non-empty, because of that pure on the right side! If only there was some way to make that fact known and defer the work of evaluating the head and tail, the liftA2 could proceed and start producing elements before looping back on itself.

Hold on to that thought.

Here’s another nifty function that actually does work:

-- | Create an infinite list of finite lists of every length,
-- with elements drawn from the input list. I am still bad at
-- naming functions.
--
-- >>> traverse_ print $ take 10 $ staggle [0,1]
-- []
-- [0]
-- [1]
-- [0,0]
-- [0,1]
-- [1,0]
-- [1,1]
-- [0,0,0]
-- [0,0,1]
-- [0,1,0]
staggle :: [a] -> [[a]]
staggle = greedy . forwards . many . Backwards . Lazy

newtype Lazy f a = Lazy { greedy :: f a }
  deriving (Functor, Applicative)

instance Alternative f => Alternative (Lazy f) where
  empty = Lazy empty
  Lazy l <|> Lazy r = Lazy $ r <|> l

Lazy, like its cousins Backwards and Dual and Reverse, is a newtype that exists only to flip an underlying operation. (Since the prevailing convention with Alternative is to put the greedier operation to the left of (<|>), flipping (<|>) turns greedy parsers into lazy parsers. But of course, not everything Alternative is actually a parser.) We get finite lists instead of infinite lists because we’re trying shorter options first now.

I bring this function up to make a point about (<|>). One possible way to resolve the infinite loop problem with wezzle would be to change the Alternative [] instance’s implementation of (<|>) to something lazy in its first argument (and strict in its second, where we know the pure [] will be). However, if we did that, we’d break staggle, and that’s unacceptable! Ideally the smooth operation of some and many would not rely on assuming which of the arguments of (<|>) is strict. But implementing list concatenation with two non-strict arguments isn’t possible, so something else needs to change.

Control.Applicative also contains a function optional, which conceptually seems cut from the same cloth as some and many. Here is its implementation:

optional :: Alternative f => f a -> f (Maybe a)
optional v = Just <$> v <|> pure Nothing

Reminds you a bit of the definition of many_v, doesn’t it? We can reimplement many_v in the definitions of some and many using optional, like this:

many_v = fromMaybe [] <$> optional some_v

This by itself doesn’t solve our problem. But if optional were promoted to be a fifth member of Alternative (finally arriving at the title of this post!), then we could give it a non-default implementation that is fully lazy in its one argument, for the types that have been causing problems!

(Click to see the full proposed definition of Alternative)
class Applicative f => Alternative f where
  empty :: f a
  (<|>) :: f a -> f a -> f a

some :: f a -> f [a]
  some v = some_v
    where

many :: f a -> f [a]
  many v = many_v
    where

-- new!
  optional :: f a -> f (Maybe a)
  optional v = Just <$> v <|> pure Nothing

Let’s see how this fixes the various problems I’ve brought up:

instance Alternative Maybe where
  empty = Nothing
  Nothing <|> r = r
  l       <|> _ = l

-- new!
  optional = Just

This time, evaluating some (Just 0) goes like this:

some v = some_v
  where
some (Just 0)
  = some_v
  = liftA2 (:) (Just 0) many_v -- liftA2 is strict in last arg, so...
  = liftA2 (:) (Just 0) (fromMaybe [] <$> optional some_v) -- <$> is strict in second arg, so...
  = liftA2 (:) (Just 0) (fromMaybe [] <$> Just some_v)
  = liftA2 (:) (Just 0) (Just (fromMaybe [] some_v))
  = Just (0 : (fromMaybe [] some_v))

And there we are in WHNF! Forcing the evaluation deeper produces Just [0,0..] as desired.

I won’t walk through the evaluations for some [0..2] and some (ZipList [0..2]), but here are the implementations that allow them to be productive:

instance Alternative [] where
  empty = []
  (<|>) = (++)

-- new!
  optional xs = let
    (h, t) = case xs of
      x : xs' -> (Just x, optional xs')
      []      -> (Nothing, [])
    in h : t

instance Alternative ZipList where
  empty = ZipList []
  ZipList xs0 <|> ZipList ys0 = ZipList $ go xs0 ys0
    where
      go (x:xs) (_:ys) = x : go xs ys
      go    []     ys  = ys

-- new!
  optional (ZipList xs) = let
    (h, ZipList t) = case xs of
      x : xs' -> (Just x, optional $ ZipList xs')
      []      -> (Nothing, pure Nothing)
    in ZipList $ h : t

Finally, to make wezzle work, the Alternative (Backwards f) instance needs to use the optional implementation from f instead of its own default:

instance Alternative f => Alternative (Backwards f) where
  empty = Backwards empty
  Backwards x <|> Backwards y = Backwards $ x <|> y
  optional (Backwards x) = Backwards $ optional x

This doesn’t interfere with the correct operation of staggle, happily! And since optional only uses pure from Applicative, we don’t have to worry about circumventing the intended effect of Backwards, which is all about reversing (<*>) and liftA2 and such.

If you’ve read this far, thank you for paying this much attention to a pretty unsexy proposal. Here is a working online copy of all of the code in this post.

I think this makes a decent case for promoting optional to a proper class member in Alternative, and illustrates some neat tricks that could be possible using some and many outside of the context of parsers. On the other hand, the CLC seems generally to want a very strong case for adding members to existing classes (per this comment, for example), and so: is this compelling to anyone other than me and my mostly academic use cases? And are there any issues with this proposal that I haven’t seen?

13 Likes

These are some interesting use cases for some and many that likely were not considered when the class was designed, probably because of the emphasis on their use in parsers. Personally I think you make a strong argument, and I think supporting wider use cases while remaining backwards compatible with the default implementation is a net benefit in terms of program-writing ability. Current educational material on Alternative may fall out of date, but that opens the stage for new material by community members with the whim to write it.

4 Likes

The argument in the linked comment is that once added class member is hard to remove. That’s fair in general, but in this case I don’t see why we’d ever want to remove optional. The usual instances of Alternative are in various parser combinator libraries, and quite apart from your argumentation here, many of them would likely benefit from a specialized implementation of optional.

I’m more concerned about the potential backward incompatibility you’d introduce into the existing Alternative instances of Maybe and lists. Can you prove their existing many and some are either useless or forward compatible?

Yes, the demonstration I wrote that some is useless on Just 0 also applies to many, and generalizes to lists. The only uses of some and many from Alternative Maybe and Alternative [] that terminate are on Nothing and [], respectively. The proposed implementation preserves some Nothing = Nothing, many Nothing = Just [], some [] = [], and many [] = [[]]—the proofs are straightforward, or you can simply evaluate these cases in the play.haskell.org sandbox.

1 Like