[SOLVED] Build Trouble: zlib.h 0.7.1.0

Hi!

I’m having trouble building one of my cabal projects, receiving this build error from cabal:

Failed to build zlib-0.7.1.0. The failure occurred during the configure step.
Build log (
/home/ola/.cache/cabal/logs/ghc-9.4.8/zlib-0.7.1.0-ea2ccc2f93d951d84a88c78a7b4f196fea6a3780cdafe6f13025c03d6aaa9dce.log
):
Configuring library for zlib-0.7.1.0..
Error: .cabal-wrapped: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
* Missing (or bad) header file: zlib.h
* Missing (or bad) C library: z
This problem can usually be solved by installing the system package that
provides this library (you may need the "-dev" version). If the library is
already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the flags...

I have tried installing zlib and variations, but that hasn’t worked. I figured something could have changed, and sure enough in April this happened:

0.7.1.0 Bodigrim andrew.lelechenko@gmail.com April 2024

Split zlib C sources into zlib-clib package (thanks @hasufell).
    Use zlib-clib on Windows, unless pkg-config is available.

So something that might be worth testing is to use an older version, but since the project is only indirectly depending on zlib, how do I pinpoint an earlier version in my .cabal?

It could be worth mentioning that I switched to NixOS some time ago.

The project on github

1 Like

You can enter a new nix shell with pkg-config and zlib:

nix-shell -p pkg-config zlib

Inside that shell cabal should be able to see the pkg-config dependencies.

I’m not sure if that is the most idiomatic way.

1 Like

Yeah, that was the first thing I reached for. Unfortunately it results in the same build error.

Edit: I’m sure I tried with pkg-config, but I’ll have to test again when this uni lecture ends

Edit 2: Yeah, I had tried that. No luck!

1 Like

Looks like somebody had a similar issue on StackOverflow, and including the package in your environment isn’t enough: haskell - How do I supply a C library to stack on NixOS? - Stack Overflow

1 Like

You can create cabal.project and put

constraints:
  zlib +bundled-c-zlib

I’m not sure what’s up with your environment. While there were changes to Windows setup in the recent zlib release, Unix builds should have been unaffected.

Your error indeed seems like the one I get if I forget zlib entirely. But I sometimes receive an error if I do not add zlib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so it may be worth trying to preempt that. A minimal shell might look like:

let
  ldDeps = [ pkgs.zlib ... ];
  deps = [ e.g. cabal-install, ghc ] ++ ldDeps;
in
{
  devShells.x86_64-linux = {
    default = pkgs.mkShell {
      buildInputs = deps;
      LD_LIBRARY_PATH = "${pkgs.lib.makeLibraryPath ldDeps}:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH";
    };
  };
}
1 Like

I was unable to build your package because you have a base constraint ^>=4.17.2.1, but you also have a dependency on servant-event-stream, for which no version supports base >4.15. :slight_smile: How do you build this project normally?

I’m currently reading and trying out the possible solutions above, but I normally just run cabal build --allow-newer=all, as some dependencies won’t build otherwise because of version mismatch. Can not remember which packages exactly, but some are more troublesome than others :slight_smile:

This worked! For future reference, the .project file ended up looking like this:

packages: .

constraints:
  zlib +bundled-c-zlib

as packages seems to be a mandatory field.

I would probably have had a hard time figuring this out myself - thank you!

Edit: I’m also going to test tbidne’s solution, as my environment probably is at fault.

1 Like