Space leak when inadvertently adding another branch back in a loop

Something of a cautionary tale about mysterious memory leak that I think I should share with others, in case any one else makes the same mistake in future! This is a follow-up to another leak post. The simple code below causes space leak when another branch is added in loop2 by mistake:

{-# LANGUAGE BangPatterns #-}
{-# OPTIONS_GHC -fno-full-laziness #-}

module Main where

import Control.Concurrent.Async (async,waitCatch,waitAnyCatchCancel,asyncThreadId)
import Control.Monad (when)
import Control.Concurrent.Chan 
import GHC.Conc  -- Thread status debugging when testing async exceptions

main :: IO ()
main = do
  testChan <- newChan :: IO (Chan Int)
  let loop1 !val = do
          writeChan testChan val 
          threadDelay 10 
          loop1 (val + 1)
  let loop2 = do
        val <- readChan testChan
        if (val > 100000000) then return () else loop2 
        loop2 -- Let us add this by mistake. This will cause memory leak

loop1Async <- async (loop1 0)
  loop2Async <- async loop2
  (_,res) <- waitAnyCatchCancel ([loop1Async,loop2Async])

return () 

Compiling with ghc Leak.hs -O2 -o Leak -rtsopts -threaded (compiler version: ghc 8.8.4), and then running with ./Leak +RTS -s -hT -N will cause memory to climb linearly. Removing last line in loop2 above fixes this, and makes it run in constant space.

It took me a while before I could figure out what was causing a slow leak in a more complex program that was supposed to take constant space in loop. It was caused by extra branching statement at the end that was never taken logically, but was still there. Something like below:

loop = do
   case someStuff of
     something -> doSomething >> loop
     _ -> doSomethingElse >> loop
   loop -- This causes leak, plus is never taken because of case statement above

Yup, in both cases the leak was caused by a non-tail-recursive IO “procedure” which consumes stack each time round the loop.