What to do when a Hackage build fails?

Yesterday I uploaded opaleye-0.10.4.0. The build reports say that a build (in fact two attempts) failed, for example Hackage: Build #1 for opaleye-0.10.4.0

The error is

postgresql-libpq-configure-0.11-GQ0HQiY1Xe86n5ML0kWxUT failed during the
configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

Possibly libpq-dev is not installed on the build system in question?

Does anyone know what to do in this situation? Should it be reported to the Hackage Trustees?

2 Likes

Raise an issue at GitHub - haskell-infra/hackage-doc-builder-config: Configuration and documentation for the Hackage documentation builder

1 Like

I was going to suggest a PR to add it to the doc builder, but looks like it should already be installed.

1 Like

Thanks, reported here:

The logs are actually more informative.

The failure on postgresql-libpq-configure: low-level binding to libpq: configure based provider is

checking if PostgreSQL version 13.16 is >= 14.12… no
configure: error: Library requirements (PostgreSQL) not met.
cabal: Leaving directory ‘/tmp/cabal-tmp-1307962/postgresql-libpq-configure-0.11’

You can see from the changelog this was induced in the latest version: Changelog for postgresql-libpq-configure-0.11 | Hackage

I couldn’t tell you why or if this was a good idea. In any case, we will have to, assuming it is straightforward, update the version of postgres on the hackage builder if we want packages depending on it to work.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I wonder why it needs PostgreSQL to compile.

I think that the message is referring to libpq-dev, not postgres-the-executable.

The constraint libpq >= 14.12 was discussed here:

1 Like