A few questions for the fellow Haskellers from a beginner

I am a total beginner with no prior experience in any programming languages. I am doing a masters degree in computer Applications, a course offered in Indian universities. I want to try and learn functional programming, particularly Haskell. I am following good amount of resources and guidance shared by our community. I am grateful to everyone of them.

1. What is the current job market for Haskell? Is it friendly for the beginners?
  2. What are the example projects that should be displayed on the CV for the recruiters?
  3. If not Haskell, what other languages that I should pick up that’s based on functional programming paradigm?
  4. Are there any internships in the companies that use Haskell, if any how should one approach?
  5. How the nationality affects the prospects of the applicant?
1 Like

Generally speaking, I think there is less willingness to offer/help with relocation, visa, etc.
Some Arms industry position are effectively forbidden to foreign nationals.

2 Likes

I request the people of this community, please help me with some guidance.

I had a remote work using haskell. Now I have one using Scala. I am on the same timezone as NYC so that was a bigger factor.

2 Likes

I can only speak to US-based Haskell companies:

1. What is the current job market for Haskell? Is it friendly for the beginners?

IMO it’s less than ideal. There are often opportunities for experienced Haskellers, but getting your foot in the door as an entry-level Haskeller can be difficult.

You can find companies and openings here - GitHub - erkmos/haskell-companies: A gently curated list of companies using Haskell in industry

Tangent: I don’t think the overall programming job market is very friendly to newcomers at the moment, but that’s a different topic.

1. What are the example projects that should be displayed on the CV for the recruiters?

This is a good guide - How to Get a Haskell Job

Otherwise, it’s generally the same as other with other SWE jobs. Having work experience or projects relevant to role you are applying for is helpful (even if it’s in a different programming language).

1. If not Haskell, what other languages that I should pick up that’s based on functional programming paradigm?

I can’t speak much to the non-Haskell job market. Outside of data engineering with Scala, I suspect there are as many Haskell opportunities as there are for any other FP lang.

If you are comfortable applying to Haskell positions, then you will also be fine applying to companies using statically-typed FP like OCaml, F#, Elm, Scala, etc. Your FP knowledge might also translate to dynamically-typed FP like with Elixir and Clojure.

1. Are there any internships in the companies that use Haskell, if any how should one approach?

Not that I’m aware of, but I would keep an eye on the bigger companies. The community is small enough that there’s no harm in reaching out directly to inquire about future openings.

1. How the nationality affects the prospects of the applicant?

Hopefully it shouldn’t. As a number of Haskell companies were remote-first even before the pandemic, it is fairly common to have teams distributed across various countries.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your effort and time. This is a comprehensive guide. Thank you again. The info is helpful.