[ANN] csound-expression-5.4.4 - music and sound design framework

I’d like to announce a new release of csound-expression on hackage.
The CE is a music framework for haskell with focus on ease of use and feature rich as it rides on top of the powerful audio programming language Csound. It is a DSL to build Csound programs. So the library embeds Csound in Haskell.

It’s a bug fix release. Many algorithms in the low-level renderer csound-expression-dynamic were rewritten and fixed. In the previous version unforunately there were severe bugs in effectful expressions and in if-then-else blocks. But now they are fixed.

Also I’ve updated the library to include new Csound opcodes (audio processing units from 6.18 version).

Happy music making with Haskell!

About the future of the csound-expression:

I’ve started the implementation of more tiny csound-core package. It offers a missing layer of low-level building of type-safe Csound expressions. In the previous version I’ve created lots of abstractions to make music making more pleasant for FP style. But this layering makes it kind of hard to debug rendered code. So I’d like to create a tiny imperative style core that will allow me to debug produced Csound code. And the rest of the code should be expressed in terms of this library. I’m not there yet. I’ve built the core library and it turned out very well. But now I need to rewrite FP abstractions on top of it. I’m not there yet. But I hope that gradually I will make it.

Also I plan to deprecate GUI features as FLTK was deprecated in Csound and it’s not packaged with Csound anymore. I think maybe it would be better to substitute them with JS+OSC.

Links:

12 Likes