Can't use Stack on macOS/Apple silicon due to linker problem with --gc-sections

I’m very new to this. I’m trying to use stack to run a tool. I have installed it via ghcup (ghcup installed view brew) on my Apple M1 running OS X Sonoma.

I cannot go through the basics: I follow the instructions found here The Haskell Tool Stack (Quick Start guide).

• stack new my-project works smoothly.
  • when I run stuck build (n the my-project directory) I get the following error:
➜  my-project stack build                                  
[3 of 3] Linking /Users/carbonem/.stack/setup-exe-cache/aarch64-osx/tmp-Cabal-simple_6HauvNHV_3.8.1.0_ghc-9.4.7
ld: unknown options: --gc-sections 
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
ghc-9.4.7: `gcc' failed in phase `Linker'. (Exit code: 1)

Error: [S-6374]
       While building simple Setup.hs (scroll up to its section to see the
       error) using:
       /Users/carbonem/.stack/programs/aarch64-osx/ghc-9.4.7/bin/ghc-9.4.7 -rtsopts -threaded -clear-package-db -global-package-db -hide-all-packages -package base -main-is StackSetupShim.mainOverride -package Cabal-3.8.1.0 /Users/carbonem/.stack/setup-exe-src/setup-6HauvNHV.hs /Users/carbonem/.stack/setup-exe-src/setup-shim-6HauvNHV.hs -o /Users/carbonem/.stack/setup-exe-cache/aarch64-osx/tmp-Cabal-simple_6HauvNHV_3.8.1.0_ghc-9.4.7
       Process exited with code: ExitFailure 1 

Perhaps this is an obvious issue but I really cannot find out how to solve it. Please help :slight_smile:

Thank you.

2 Likes

Look at these:

and try other similar searches here on this Discourse if needed:

Search results for '' - Haskell Community

to see if this problem has appeared before (and maybe for which a solution already exists).

1 Like

I think that may be a bug in GHC. See these GHC issues: #22493: getting linker errors for every nontrivial build on an m1 mac with ghc 9.4.3 · Issues · Glasgow Haskell Compiler / GHC · GitLab and #23668: Configure whether the linker supports gc-sections rather than whether it is GNU linker · Issues · Glasgow Haskell Compiler / GHC · GitLab.

However, to be sure, can you post your Stack config.yaml file’s substantive contents. Delete that, I am pretty sure this is not Stack-related as such, but GHC-related.

The underlying problem is that the Stack-supplied GHC 9.4.7 (which is the one issued by the GHC developers) thinks your system’s linker program supports --gc-sections, but it does not.

Something similar affected GHC 8.4.3 back in 2018: GHC 8.4.3 on macos will generate linker error · Issue #4373 · commercialhaskell/stack · GitHub.

You might try this (even though it is akin to ‘turn it off and on again’): (a) uninstall all Stack with GHCup; (b) delete the Stack root ~/.stack; (c) reinstall Stack, but following the macOS/Apple silicon instructions at Install/upgrade - The Haskell Tool Stack, and the guidance about Xcode Command Line Tools (in case it is something to do with your system’s software development tooling; sometimes macOS updates, but Xcode Command Line Tools do not get updated).

EDIT: I’ve updated your post’s title to be more specific. It may attract more focussed attention.

5 Likes

Here, with Sonoma on a M1, Stack 2.13.1 and 9.6.3 (and all other 9.6 GHCs) from GHCup work.
Just to check if it’s the compiler version or something else on your system

1 Like

I have an M1 and use ghcup to manage my install; I recently switched from GHC 9.4 to using 9.6 for my projects so I concur and recommend upgrading your GHC version as well.

To see if I could reproduce your experience, I’ve upgraded my Mac mini/M1, 2020 from Ventura 13.4.1 to Sonoma 14.1. I could not reproduce your experience (but I am not using GHCup to manage Stack; I use Stack to manage Stack). My output follows (extracts only):

$ stack upgrade --force-download # Ensure I have latest official binary release of Stack
$ stack --version
Version 2.13.1, Git revision 8102bb8afce90fc954f48efae38b87f37cabc988 (9949 commits) aarch64 hpack-0.36.0
$ stack new foo
$ cd foo
$ stack build
Preparing to install GHC to an isolated location. This will not interfere with any system-level installation.
Downloaded ghc-9.4.7.
xcode-select: error: tool 'xcodebuild' requires Xcode, but active developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools' is a command line tools instance
ld: unknown option: --version
ld: unknown option: --version
Installed GHC.
[1 of 3] Compiling Main ...
Registering library for foo-0.1.0.0..
$ stack exec -- which -a ld # What ld is available in Stack environment?
/usr/bin/ld
$ stack exec -- ld -v # What is the version of that ld?
@(#)PROGRAM:ld  PROJECT:ld64-857.1
BUILD 23:13:29 May  7 2023
configured to support archs: armv6 armv7 armv7s arm64 arm64e arm64_32 i386 x86_64 x86_64h armv6m armv7k armv7m armv7em
LTO support using: LLVM version 14.0.3, (clang-1403.0.22.14.1) (static support for 29, runtime is 29)
TAPI support using: Apple TAPI version 14.0.3 (tapi-1403.0.5.1)

EDIT: Another thing that may be relevant is:

$ which -a clang
/opt/homebrew/opt/llvm@12/bin/clang
/usr/bin/clang
$ clang --version
Homebrew clang version 12.0.1
Target: arm64-apple-darwin23.1.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /opt/homebrew/opt/llvm@12/bin

I can’t now recall why I have Homebrew’s clang in preference to Apple’s, but I have a vague recollection that, at some point in the past, GHC needed a less-current version of clang than the one Apple provided. (GHC 9.2.8’s manual says it needed LLVM 9 to 12. GHC 9.4.7’s manual says LLVM 10 to 14. GHC 9.6.3’s manual says LLVM 11 to 15, as does GHC 9.8.1’s.)

Dear all,

first of all, thank you very much for your replies. And apologies for taking so long to reply myself, I’ve been too busy travelling :slight_smile:

I have deleted everything that has to do with Haskell in the laptop. Then I have reinstalled ghc via home-brew and then downloaded stack via curl (as suggested above). Another key thing that I did was to delete two of the three versions of clang that were installed on my machine (left the one on /usr/bin). After all these operations, stack works – thank you everyone for suggesting possible solutions.

I use clang/LLVM 17 and have used Apple’s default clang 15 without a problém (so far ;).
So this should not be needed any more.

clang 15 now only and it works. Before there was also v17. No idea if this was the problem - just saying it was one of the operations I performed.

Oh, I didn’t want to express that having more than one version of LLVM (‘specially more than one Homebrew package) doesn’ t cause problems, even if only one of them is set in different environment variables (it does, and it is quite a challenge to get “everything” to use the right clang). Using Apple’s version only is the easiest alternative, as many programs/scripts/build systems… will use it anyway. It’s just not an option if you need a more “standard” Version of LLVM (for example with OpenMP support).

1 Like