Full program published for New York :: Compose

I’m excited to announce our great lineup of talks for New York :: Compose.

http://www.composeconference.org/2019/program/

We had a lot of submissions this year and there were many great talks that we unfortunately weren’t able to include. Space is limited, so don’t forget to reserve your ticket. We look forward to seeing you there!

5 Likes

Looks like a really good set of talks from some great speakers.

Have you considered having multiple tracks? I think this works well at the Haskell eXchange in order to give more people a chance to get their voices heard.

Thus far we have intentionally chosen single track. We get a really diverse group of people from academia to industry, expert to novice, and established professionals to students just getting started. Our thesis has been that getting these people in the same room helps grow a strong vibrant community. I suspect that things that emerge from this (hearing talks you might not have otherwise gone to, interacting with other attendees who you might not have met, etc) result in more value to the community than getting more people up on the stage as speakers. That is some of the reasoning behind the current structure.

That being said, Compose has grown tremendously as a conference in ways that we never expected. With the addition of Melbourne :: Compose in Australia it is now an international family of conferences. So who knows where things will go from here. I certainly wouldn’t rule out the possibility of multiple tracks in the future.

1 Like

I’d add another motivation for single-track for us. We’re a multi-language conference and want to promote interchange between practitioners of different typed functional programming languages, and exchange of techniques and ideas. If we had a multi-track conference, its likely that OCaml users would prefer OCaml talks, Haskell users Haskell talks, etc. As a whole, I think it would make things less interesting.