Hoogle appears to be down

It seems hoogle.haskell.org has been down all day. I get 502 Bad Gateway.

5 Likes

I notified folks in #haskell-infrastructure.

Meanwhile, if you are not already aware, you can run Hooge locally too!

2 Likes

There’s also a Hoogle at https://stackage.org.

2 Likes

And @MangoIV has his own instance too! https://hoogle.mangoiv.com/

4 Likes

Might be worth force reloading, it respects dark mode now.

2 Likes

and a fancy looking one at that :clap: +1

2 Likes

Thanks for notifying the folks in #haskell-infrastructure. Though maybe there is some automatic alert that detects it’s down as well?

Thanks for the pointer about building it locally. I use nix though with cached builds, so if I changed it to build docs, I’m afraid I wouldn’t hit the cache anymore and it would take a very long time to build. Maybe I could talk to my coworkers about possibly caching another set of builds with docs?

Yes, I know of the one at Stackage, but it doesn’t search packages that are in Hackage but not Stackage.

Also, I’m thinking of all the new Haskellers who have been taught to use Hoogle and might be a little distraught and more likely to give up on Haskell at this point.

1 Like

That’s awesome, did not know about that one, thanks @MangoIV.

1 Like

If you’re using the Nixpkgs infra, building docs should be the default afaik. There’s also a thing that gives you a hoogle for a package closure, I don’t remember the name though. In shellFor it might just be „withHoogle = true“

1 Like

Nice one - maybe it could mention which packages it covers - eg “stackage lts-22.35”, “hackage 20240915” or some such.

I wanted to keep UI as clean as possible. But it should get regenerated each night (standard settings, so iirc that’s stackage smth?) (I’m checking regularly and it has been working well since I spun it up). Perhaps I’ll add a herald endpoint for that stuff. Maybe I should also look to generate a bit more? Dunno how important that is for you, if there’s some interest then maybe I’ll add it :sweat_smile:

I don’t need this myself at the moment, even as a fallback, so no pressure. But it’s always useful to know what you’re searching (and how to adjust the scope by adding packages if that’s possible).

1 Like