Monthly DevOps Logs

Hi all,

I will keep all my monthly updates under this one heading for now, as an experiment. As a reminder, I’ve switched to a longer interval as mentioned in The LAST DevOps weekly log, 2024-06-27 .

July 2024

My first month on the new schedule started with a bang, as an OpenSSH vulnerability demanded upgrades of every Linux system everywhere. This was accompanied by an unrelated expiration of a bunch of access tokens related to GHC CI. The latter gave me an opportunity to document how to create new ones! I also set up a calendar reminder so the next round of expiries won’t cause system failures.

Besides those adventures, I also spent time mentoring the GSoC contributor working on spuriobot. That will continue to be my focus in August.

4 Likes

Looked at spuriobot but there is no readme explaining the point of it. Could you add that or put a link to the gsoc proposal?

Yikes, yeah, thanks for reminding me. :slight_smile:

The GSoC project is based on my project idea found at Summer of Haskell - ideas.

The fact that spuriobot is currently found in a subdirectory of a repo that started out as a private workspace for my own work on spurious failures isn’t a good situation, lol. I intend to get it moved.

How is your “Estimated at 175 hours” going?

August 2024

In August, I continued mentoring the GSOC project, which can now be found on GitHub as well as GitLab. I also began working on setting up infrastructure to host the Haskell certification program (see José’s announcement, Haskell Certification Program). Finally, I took over responsibility for the two existing Windows runners used by GHC CI. I used my new console access to perform the hallowed “turn it off and turn it on again” ritual, to great effect.

In non-HF news, I have spent some time contributing to Snowdrift.coop, a project I previously worked on around 2014–2018. I also started working on a Rubik’s cube scrambler :upside_down_face:

Coming up, I’ll continue setting up the certification website, and with any extra time I’ll be looking into making CI runners more stable (particularly the Darwin runners, which need constant manual intervention right now).

7 Likes