DevOps Weekly Log, 2023-09-20

Hello, time for another weekly log from the ever-changing world of DevOps!

This log has five things to mention, which are a mix of GHC and Haskell Foundation tasks. It’s been a busy couple weeks.

On the HF side, David recently announced that HF will start hosting Stackage in the near future. Over the last few weeks, I have done some analysis and prototyping for this project, and will be leading it from the HF side. We are still deciding how and where to host these services. Be in touch if you have suggestions are are interested in helping administrate. Note that the Stackage curators team—the folks that actually produce Stackage snapshots—will continue to operate in their current role!

The next link I have is to my Haskell CI group meeting notes from last Thursday. As usual, there was some good knowledge-sharing and discussion. See GitHub - haskellfoundation/haskell-ci-group: Public notes and artifacts from the Haskell CI Group meetings for more information on the group, including how to join the next one (hint: PM me your email address).

The third thing to mention is that I spent some time creating one of my first-ever presentations to give to the local Haskell meetup. Giving presentations is a skill I hope to continue to develop in this role, since I am finding knowledge-sharing to be a valuable part of the job. The talk was recorded, but I’m waiting to see it before deciding whether or not to share it widely… It was one of my first ever, after all. :sweat_smile:

In GHC CI news, thanks to my CI Health dashboard, I was able to notice a worrying trend of recent failures. A little investigation led to the creation of #23978: 66.7% fail rate for Validate pipelines on master in the last week · Issues · Glasgow Haskell Compiler / GHC · GitLab, which the relevant teams are now investigating.

Finally, as of today I began working on producing the GHC 9.6.3 release. You can follow my progress on the tracking ticket. Cutting releases is a job ripe for automation, and by doing it myself I will have the best information on how to accomplish that.

In sum, I’ve had a lot going on these past few weeks. I also got sidetracked from the work I was doing to enable CI test log exploration. That’s still on the queue, though, and I intend to get back to it once some of these time-critical tasks are dealt with.

See you next time!

8 Likes