New Open Source project: Join and learn

The overall goal is to create something that is a useful/valuable addition to the ecosystem while improving our Haskell skills.

Sounds great! Fortunately Gabriella Gonzales has cut some work for you. How about looking to fill some loophole, a place where Haskell is less than great as of now? Of course it all depends on your team’s interests and strengths.

A personal suggestion to complete the list: the list does not mention “web crawlers” (which are probably a joy to implement in Haskell), nor the fact that finding libraries nowadays on Hackage / Stackage can be a real pain (I’d surmise that poor visibility and lack of documentation are the most significant blockers to Haskell’s growth in the industry). Perhaps there is something to be done in the form of a web crawler that would spot missing / insufficient documentation in libraries? Or some sort of search engine specialized for libraries?

edit: Also making a tool to help find open-source Haskell projects in need of contributors / maintainers would greatly help. There is this lovely idea put to use here already: https://github.com/haskellfoundation/matchmaker

2 Likes

Here’s a project suggestion that would address a particular pet peeve of mine:

A minimal technical computing environment in the spirit of Mathematica.
As an interface, a command-line REPL would be sufficient. It should have rudimentary support for basic math, including derivatives, integrals, ordinary differential equations. The focus would be on symbolic calculations, not number crunching (i.e., not like Matlab). It would also feature a plug-in mechanism, so that other Haskellers can extend it easily, e.g. writing modules that support quantum mechanical operators, stochastic differential equations, path integrals for quantum field theory.

Independently of the above suggestion, I’m interested in contributing to your project.

1 Like

Happy to have you Robert! I’ll add you to our group chat and hopefully you can make our next meeting which is TU 6pm California time.

1 Like