Seeking a new director for the Haskell Foundation

With @david-christiansen’s departure coming up in about a month, the Haskell Foundation is now seeking a new Executive Director. Here is the full job description and instructions for applying. Basically, we’re looking for someone who can enthusiastically continue to build a better language and ecosystem, working with all of us to promote Haskell’s interests.

In the discussions we’ve had internally behind this job posting, we (the board) have agreed to be open-minded about how the position is shaped. No one person will be great at every aspect of the job, and we look forward to reading applications that put a new spin on how the Haskell Foundation can best support the language, its community, and its industrial users. The chief qualifications are excitement at promoting the language and the ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders to build consensus – most other aspects are negotiable.

Feel free to ask questions here about the job or to talk directly with @david-christiansen, who knows the job better than anyone. Looking forward to seeing where this all goes!

For full consideration, please submit an application before Sept 29.

18 Likes

The offer to talk to me is real. If you are thinking that you might be interested, but aren’t sure whether the job is for you, or would just like to explore it, please get in touch! The prior CTO and ED, @emilypi and @myshoggoth, were very generous with me when I was thinking about it and spent a lot of time talking to me about it, and I intend to do the same for those who are considering the job.

12 Likes

That sounds like a quick departure. Anything to disclose publicly about that?

See the other post:

As many of you know, I’ve had a deep and abiding interest in dependently-typed programming, formal verification, compile-time metaprogramming, and programmer tooling. A rare opportunity came by to work on all of these at once, and I will be returning to a full-time developer role at the beginning of October.

1 Like

The board has been preparing the transition and hiring processes for a bit of time now. I gave them as much notice as I was able, given all the constraints involved in the process.

I don’t think there’s any aspect of it that’s not publicly known - I got an offer to work on essentially all of my burning technical interests at once (dependent types, metaprogramming, hygienic macros, language embedding, turning research tools into practical ones), without requiring me to relocate away from my beloved Copenhagen.

Do you have any specific concerns?

12 Likes

Nope, no specific concern, thanks for the explanation.

My offer is still open to have a frank, confidential discussion with anyone interested in applying for the job so that you can do so in a manner that’s informed as possible. But my last day is in one week, so please let me know ASAP if you’d like to do this so I can fit you in my calendar.

More information is also available in the latest episode of the Haskell Interlude.

5 Likes