Technical Working Group: Call for Volunteers

Hello,

The Haskell Foundation Technical Working Group (TWG) serves as an advisory organization for both the HF management and the Haskell community as a whole, by evaluating specific proposals for projects that can have broad, ecosystem-wide effects. These proposals can be:

• Community RFCs that seek the community’s input on a project
  • Community projects that will be executed primarily by the proposer, but seek administrative or financial support from the HF
  • HF projects that a community member would like us to execute
  • Other topics of relevance to the community

Volunteers wanted!

We presently have three openings on the working group, and we’re seeking volunteers. Members are expected to attend a monthly meeting, to participate in and moderate discussion threads regarding specific proposals, and to evaluate proposals for their technical merits. From time to time, committee members may also be asked to help a community member revise their proposal. The ability to communicate well and respectfully is important for any potential member.

These discussions have a real impact on the Haskell ecosystem, so this is an opportunity to give back in a meaningful way.

If you are interested, or if you know someone who might be, please get in touch with me at director@haskell.foundation! You don’t have to be a long-term Haskeller, or someone who is deeply embedded in Haskell development - we have members with this background already. If you are unsure as to whether you would fit in, please get in touch, and we can have a chat about it. We would like to have members with diverse backgrounds, professional experiences, and knowledge. All self-nominations must be submitted by the end of the day on Jan 12th 2024.

15 Likes

Hey folks,

There are still 10 days to self-nominate for this, please don’t be shy! If you have doubts about it, email me so we can discuss it (director@haskell.foundation)

1 Like

Could you elaborate on

proposals for projects
Is it GHC extensions, external packages (if so what for, funding ? technical recommendation) etc ?
Do you have any example of HFTP/projects which have been accepted/rejected ?

1 Like

Do you have any example of HFTP/projects which have been accepted/rejected ?

Unless I’m misunderstanding you, I think you want the list of PRs on the corresponding GitHub repo:
https://github.com/haskellfoundation/tech-proposals/pulls?q=is%3Apr

2 Likes

That’s a way of answering it indeed thanks.

I’m trying to understand the difference between this committee and the others and if it’s something I my “expertise” might be relevant there.

The technical working group advises on projects that receive funding and other support from HF. So you might have a ghc proposal to add some feature to ghc. However, if you want to pay someone to implement that, then that goes to the twg. If you have a proposal that goes to the clc about changing the testing architecture of libraries, then that goes to the clc. But again, if you then want to fund somebody to work on it (or say fund the CI resources necessary for it) – that goes to the twg.

The twg repository also serves as a place where the twg can guide ecosystem-wide cross-cutting tickets. So if there’s a proposal to change things in a way that affects e.g. hackage, the core libraries committee and cabal and stack all at once, its a place where stakeholders can come together and the twg can help guide and shape the discussion, though there’s no end result for twg to sign off on.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. Will the TWG decide on the funding (I mean the amount) then or try to shape the proposal so that it could be accepted (and funded).

The TWG is an advisory group, so ultimately they don’t decide on funding, but they can say things like “this level of funding is appropriate”.

They often work (via the proposal process) to shape the proposal into a form where it’s most likely to be accepted, but ultimately it’s up to the proposer to incorporate the suggestions.

2 Likes