Typos on website -- how to submit fixes?

Not sure where else to report this (or where to submit a patch if the website source is on Github or Gitlab):

“Our goal is to raise around ũm/year in cash and in-kind contributions.”

(The number comes out as a u with a tilde over it in my browser.)

Two subheadings seem partially redundant:

“Eliminating unreasonable and perceived barriers to adoption.”

followed by

“Eliminating unreasonable barriers to adoption”

And by the way, the first subheading here shouldn’t have a period

The website’s repository is here: https://github.com/haskellfoundation/haskellfoundation.github.io

3 Likes

GitHub issues are great, PRs are even better!

Submitted. I “fixed” the problem with the period in the HTML text, but if that’s Hakyll-generated anyway, it’ll probably get nuked on the next regeneration of the site. PR=Problem Report? Well, I don’t know how to submit those, or where to do it. Are those different from “Issues”?

Hi, pr is for pull request, a mechanism in github and other source repositories to propose changes in a project through a new version that is compared with the actual one, to help maintainers review the changes, approve them and if everything is ok, include (merge) in the actual version.
You can navigate in github to the source of a html page, click in “edit” and it will guide you in how to open the pull request. For example if you want to change the index.html: https://github.com/haskellfoundation/haskellfoundation.github.io/edit/master/site/index.html

I’ve used pull requests before, thank you. Just wasn’t sure what the abbreviation PR meant. I’m not going to submit a pull request on changes that are just going to get zorched when the website is regenerated, and I don’t know Hakyll, so I don’t know what to edit and submit for pulling.

Here I am on github:

Oh, sorry, i assumed incorrectly from your question that would be your first time trying to propose changes.

I’m not going to submit a pull request on changes that are just going to get zorched when the website is regenerated, and I don’t know Hakyll, so I don’t know what to edit and submit for pulling.

Afaik if you change one of the html pages in the repo (like the index.html in my link above), that version will be the definitive one.

1 Like

glad to see you figured out how to submit PRs for the website!

1 Like

I still haven’t, because I don’t know for sure whether the home page where I found the errors is the source that needs to change or is generated by Hakyll. I’ve generated pull requests before (years before) on other things. By “newbie”, I don’t mean “total software newbie.” I mean “new to Haskell.”

I don’t understand. The linked PR is a PR from you to fix the website.

I don’t know for sure whether the home page where I found the errors is the source that needs to change or is generated by Hakyll

It is the source. It would be extremely bad practice to store generated HTML in the git repository! To confirm it is the source have a look at https://github.com/haskellfoundation/haskellfoundation.github.io/blob/master/haskell/site.hs. You can see that Hakyll will process files whose names are index.html, just like the one your PR changed.

1 Like

I apologize for unintentionally suggesting that anybody associated with Haskell would do anything with a computer that could be considered bad practice. I’ll now go back to making lists of Haskell error messages that some very intelligent people found quite baffling, no doubt because of some cognitive impairment in those very intelligent people.

No need to apologise. Sometimes such things happen so it’s worth confirming. Thanks again for your contributions to the ecosystem.

1 Like