Vscode-ghc-simple: Requesting feedback for multi-component project support

1 Like

Hi, vscode-ghc-simple dev here. If you were a user of vscode-ghc-simple, I hope you have not abandoned my extension yet :slight_smile:. Sorry for the year with no updates.

If you are using VSCode but not using vscode-ghc-simple yet, here’s an introduction: vscode-ghc-simple is an extension providing editor tooling for VSCode, using only GHCi. It is just like using a GHCi session along your editor to develop, but GHCi is actually integrated into the editor. It is similar to dante for Emacs. Many have found it more lightweight or easier to set up than HLS. So if you were having trouble with HLS, maybe give this a try.

I have just implemented multi-component/multi-package projects support, by using an hie.yaml subset like Haskell Language Server. This solves many long-standing issues with the extension not being able to handle such multi-component/package projects.

I have just implemented multi-component/multi-package projects support, by using an hie.yaml subset like Haskell Language Server. This solves many long-standing issues with the extension not being able to handle such multi-component/package projects.

The main thing to implement is to use a different GHCi session for each target (because targets different targets may have conflicting configuration), and the main idea is to use an hie.yaml with the same format as that of hie-bios:

Many projects already have an hie.yaml for use with Haskell Language Server. If they are relatively simple ones, they would easily work with vscode-ghc-simple.

I think I’ve made good progress, but it was a big change. From time to time, I still have random friends asking me about my extension, and from time to time I also get issue reports on GitHub. So before I roll it out I really want to check if there are any major problems. I know I’ll get a ton of issue reports as soon as I release this, but I want to minimize the amount now as much as possible :slight_smile:.

Please don’t hesitate to post your bug reports and feature requests :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

It is very nice to see alternatives to hls out there. To have a more lightweight one makes total sense.
Good luck and keep on your great work!

After some manual testing, I concluded that this seems to be working and released it as v0.2.0. This should be on the marketplace by the time you see this post. :slight_smile:

2 Likes