Welcome to our new Executive Director, José

It is my great pleasure to announce that we have hired a new Executive Director for the Haskell Foundation: José Manuel Calderón Trilla. José is a long-time Haskeller and Haskeller-educator, with a PhD from the University of York, a stint at Galois, and is currently wrapping up a lectureship at the University of Maryland.

During the selection process, the board was impressed with José’s leadership skills (as honed wrangling the teaching staff and students of 300±person courses), his ability to forge connections with people, and his ideas about how to guide the HF. We’re very excited to be working with him.

We were fortunate to get a slate of strong applications for the ED position, culminating in multiple presentations to the board. For me, personally, this process has affirmed the strong position of the HF in its ability to attract the right people for this top position. We all owe our gratitude to the folks who put their hats in the ring here: applying for a new job is never easy, and our community is stronger because of the applications we received.

Lastly, I want to thank my fellow board members who volunteered to interview candidates: Josh Meredith, Andres Löh, Chris Dornan, and Graham Hutton. Thanks for your time here.

Looking forward to this next chapter!

74 Likes

Hello everyone! I’m very excited to start in this role and contribute to the growth and sustainability of the Haskell ecosystem. My first order of business is to ensure that there is no interruption to the current undertakings and initiatives of the Haskell Foundation. David C. has done a great deal of good work during his tenure as ED and I’d like to retain that momentum. Fortunately, David C. has been generous enough to provide his insight and knowledge during this transition period.

Haskell, the ecosystem and community, has been a big part of my career. I view the ED role as a way to ensure that as many people as possible, now and in the future, can enjoy the privilege I’ve had in using Haskell to get work done. I’m eager to get to work on this mission and look forward to working with the community in accomplishing our goals.

Cheers!

63 Likes

I’ve known José since we were both students, and I had the pleasure of working with him at Galois back in the day. I’ve always been impressed by his good heart, his communication skills, and his technical abilities, and it makes me happy to know that the HF is in good hands. While he’s getting up to speed, we’ll be checking in regularly to ensure he has the full context on everything I did in the job.

I wasn’t part of the selection process, but I had a number of in-depth meetings with many of the applicants while they were deciding whether to apply. This decision can’t have been easy for the board - there were many good candidates. Thank you to everyone who put so much effort into your applications.

And, of course, congratulations José! I look forward to seeing all the wonderful things that you make happen.

40 Likes

Welcome Jose! The HF is in good health, and there is plenty of excitement in the air. We are so much more effective when we work together, and the HF plays a key role in helping us to do that.

I also want to thank the other candidates who applied. It was a strong field, and we are all grateful to those who applied for putting themselves forward. Thank you!

Simon

31 Likes

Omg! A great choice, look forward to working with you José! Welcome :smiley:

6 Likes

Congratulations José! That’s fantastic news.

1 Like

Please take care of yourself, Jose, and don’t work too hard. I’m told there’s so much work to be done, but I’d love to still call you Executive Director in 5 years. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing news for the Haskell ecosystem, José is great!

4 Likes

I assume this means we can expect initiatives around better support for Natural numbers going forward (I just wanted to make that dumb joke, and mention that I loved that talk…welcome José)

4 Likes