[Well-Typed Blog] GHC activities report: June–July 2023

10 Likes

Ben replaced the old-style explicit barrier load/store/write functions from the RTS, opting instead to use the C11-style acquire/release operations. In particular, this adds C11-style fences operations to GHC (!10628).

The comment section in there is something strange. There’s a comment saying it was merged, but the commit mentioned does not contain the changes. And the MR is closed as “not merged”.

What’s going on?..

That’s how the Marge bot works. The commit mentioned in that comment is only the last commit of this MR. You can look at the parent commits to find all the changes (or just look at the changes tab in the MR).

1 Like

That’s how the Marge bot works.

I don’t get it. The issue says it is closed (i.e. not merged), the bot says first it is a part of a batch (which is not merged), then says that it is merged (with an irrelevant link), but then it closes as not merged.

I see the proposed changes, I don’t see where they have landed in the released code :confused:

Marge says the change was merged with bb0ed35 which is the last commit in Ben’s MR.
Howerver changes belonging to other commits have been merged, see:

1 Like

I think recently Marge Bot has started marking the commits merged in batches as “Merged” rather than “Closed”.

As I understand it, Marge creates a new MR which includes the commits of a whole batch of MRs. And then if the pipeline for that combined batch succeeds, it merges all the commits into master directly. Then it just closes the batch MR and the original MRs. So there’s nothing unexpected about that particular MR.

If you mean where as in which commits then just look at the commit mentioned in that comment by the Marge bot (it is not irrelevant!) and the parent commits. If you mean where as in which file then just look at the changes tab of the MR.

Yes, you can go to bb0ed35 and then click the link to the parent 9f63da66 and so forth to see all the commits. Marge bot only links to the last commit of the MR.

I haven’t seen that yet. That would be nice.

Here’s the latest MR merged by Marge tagged “Merged”, from the list of recently merged MRs

2 Likes