GHC: CentOS 7 EOL Update

CentOS Linux 7 reached end of life (EOL) on June 30, 2024.

For the time being this means the GHC Project will downgrade CentOS 7 to a Tier 2 platform, but continue providing CentOS 7 releases as long as doing so is reasonably easy to do. However we will drop support completely in the not so distant future.

As an more up to date alternative for users we started providing distributions for Rocky Linux 8, another RHEL compatible distro, a while ago.

The difference in glibc compatibility etc can be viewed here: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/platforms/linux

So CentOS 7 has glibc 2.17, while Rocky Linux 8 has 2.28.

Also note that GithHub implicitly dropped support for glibcs older than what RHEL 8 provides (2.28): checkout@v3 using node20 instead of node16 · Issue #1809 · actions/checkout · GitHub

That means ghcup will also drop support, because keeping those alive reasonably will require private runners with a specific setup. That’s doable, but work.

1 Like

Debian 10 also had its EOL on the same day. I imagine the same downgrade/removal applies to it?

Debian 10 also had its EOL on the same day. I imagine the same downgrade/removal applies to it?

Similar but not exactly the same. We will probably stop testing GHC on debian 10 in the near future and stop producing bindists for/on it at some point after that as well, but the time window there will likely be longer than for CentOS 7. (See #25077: Debian10 is EOL · Issues · Glasgow Haskell Compiler / GHC · GitLab)

But we are obviously not dropping support for Debian as a Tier 1 platform in general.

1 Like

Is there a list of the platforms and tiers somewhere?

I can’t find any, but I believe it should live here: GHC Status · Wiki · Glasgow Haskell Compiler / GHC · GitLab

Okay I hadn’t looked at this in a while:

Looks outdated. armv7 is definitely Tier3: it’s absolutely busted.