Introduction for new GHC Contributors: workshop being planned - are you interested?

The Haskell Foundation, with help from the GHC development team and logistical support from the kind Zurihac organizers, is planning an event that introduces to contributors to the GHC code base and development practices. We plan to hold the event immediately prior to Zurihac, 7-9 June, 2023.

The event will be a deep dive into the GHC code, with plenty of time for hacking and collaboration. In addition to the code and its underlying details, we’ll be presenting the process of GHC development, including how to build GHC, tips and tricks for efficiently working on the system, how to submit MRs, how the code review process works, and how GHC is connected to the rest of the Haskell ecosystem. Our goal is that participants will leave the workshop equipped to make contributions to GHC.

Right now, though, the event is still in the planning stages. We have some ideas of what the most relevant topics are likely to be, and we suspect that there will be enough interest to fill the room, but we’d like to make sure that we’re planning the best event that we can and we’d like to ensure that there’s enough interest before buying plane tickets!

Space will be limited. The current plan is to charge for participation so that we can cover the costs of speakers and provide support to students who attend the event. We’re also planning to make it as easy as possible to participate remotely (probably using the same techniques as Zurihac itself), and to record all materials for posterity.

If you’d like to attend, please fill out this form. If you’d like to be notified when registration opens, please put your email address in the form and indicate this fact. This is not a registration form - we don’t have enough details yet. But we figured that it’d be good to let those who are interested know so that they don’t arrange unchangeable Zurihac transportation and accommodation too early.

Thanks!

15 Likes

After clicking “Save” I got an empty page in Firefox even with most of my privacy extensions disabled (I’ve tried twice). Have you received my response under the name “Jaro”?

1 Like

Yes! You’re good to go. I got three copies.

2 Likes

Thank you for this, I’m really excited for the opportunity! I would be participating remotely from the US, but I don’t see anything in the form to indicate that. Does it make sense to add a question asking if you would be participating in person or remotely?

2 Likes

It might be worth retitling this. When I read “contributor’s workshop” it made me think it’s for people who are already contributors.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this as being primarily driven by the needs of those attending in person, and then having the remote participation as a free bonus for the community. But perhaps that’s the wrong approach… I’ll ponder.

Thanks, retitled!

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this as being primarily driven by the needs of those attending in person, and then having the remote participation as a free bonus for the community. But perhaps that’s the wrong approach… I’ll ponder.

That makes sense because those who are in-person are investing a lot more. But if you give 1,000 respondents interested, you won’t know who is planning to attend in-person unless you ask. Plus if 95% of your interest comes from remote, it might make sense to cater to them more. Just some thoughts. Either way I’m really excited!

1 Like

This is a very good point - I’d thought that the survey would be filled out by those interested in being there physically, but this seems likely to be a case of me still having pre-covid communication norms and assumptions. I’ve added the question that you suggested - thank you!

1 Like

Glad I could be of help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The official announcement, with more details and prices, is up.

2 Likes

Due to the limited space available, participants will be chosen based on their background and interests.

And here I already booked accommodation… hopefully you find me good enough that you will let me join!

3 Likes

Any idea when applicants will be notified? (to book hotels, etc.)

1 Like

Hello!

The application form for in-person participation will go live tomorrow and close on 14 April. Those who left an email address on the expression of interest form will receive the announcement of the form opening as well. Everyone will be notified by 21 April at the latest, but I certainly hope to have it done much more quickly.

I’m sorry that the details have take a bit longer to sort out than I expected.

5 Likes

The application form is now live.

4 Likes