2023 State of Haskell Survey

You may have noticed that there hasn’t been a survey yet this year. What’s up with that?

I ran a Haskell survey for the past six years: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018 & 2017. I’ve enjoyed learning more about the community surrounding this language we all enjoy. And I think others have benefitted from the results as well.

But this year I simply didn’t have the time to run the survey, and the reason is simple: I’m a new father! Turns out that caring for a newborn is time consuming :laughing:

I think it would be great if someone else could run the survey moving forward. The Haskell Foundation had expressed an interest in the past, and I think that would be a good way to go. But if that doesn’t pan out for whatever reason, someone with a bit of free time should be able to do it. All of the code is open source, so feel free to use it as a starting point.

Thanks for participating in the past surveys!

49 Likes

Congratulations :slight_smile: !

4 Likes

Congratulations!

I’ve also loved seeing the survey results in previous years, and would very much like to see it run again. My feeling is that this should be the responsibility of the Haskell Foundation, but failing that, I would be happy to try run it myself. (Though my webdev experience is lacking, so I may need some help!)

4 Likes

A trove of useful information on the community, which was interesting to read and also guided some GHC/cabal and other tooling decision.

Many thanks for everything, from having the idea, to running it every year!

1 Like

Congratulations! And thanks for all your time running the survey in the past.

2 Likes

Great work.

I also hope whoever continues this puts additional effort into “normalizing” the survey participant groups (industrial, hobbyist, FLOSS nerds).

My impression was always that the survey reflects too much of the core nerds in the community, which makes it a problematic metric for some purposes.

The HF, for example, could incentivize tech leads to have their teams complete the survey, so that we maybe get more “industrial feedback”. Similarly, I think it’s hard to get feedback from raw beginners, unless a professor links to the survey at the end of their Haskell course (and since the survey is a one shot thing, that likely doesn’t work either).

I think there are ways to accelerate the value of the survey.

12 Likes

Congratulations Taylor, and thank you for serving the community.
I can offer my two hands and fast learner attitude to help with the Haskell Survey.

4 Likes

Congratulations! I’m new to things but will key an eye to help out next year. I do also agree that this is something that the Haskell Foundation should do!

1 Like

Congrats on fatherhood!

This is something we’re looking into for sure. I hope to have a better story in the coming weeks.

3 Likes

Congratulations, and thank you for running so many iterations of the survey!

1 Like

Thank you Taylor for all the work you put in this community! And congratulations on becoming a dad :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes